News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Icelanders, to me!

Started by Liep, February 01, 2016, 08:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

I'm planning a 2 week trip to Iceland in early October. I've been searching online and can only find opening dates for the various mountain roads but no closing dates. Is October going to be too wintery to cross the F35 on a bike? What about a more coastal ride?

Thanks in advance
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Legbiter

All the highland gravel roads will be closed, the highland summer in Iceland is only about a month and a half. The weather in October will be cold, wet and windy, with days alternating between mild weather and then furious snowstorms giving way to sleet and rain and back again. So road conditions all over Iceland will be very variable. Think wet ice on the roads and snowed-in mountain passes if the winter has an early start.

It'll be dark as well and your survival on a bike in the dark cold will be seen as an affront to drivers who'll be hard pressed seeing you, with potentially fatal consequences.  :sleep:
Some biking should be doable but you'll have to be self-reliant and flexible to make it work. Ideally I'd not want you biking alone on the Ring Road at that time of the year, if anything happens to you, you're a long way from people and help in many cases. 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Liep

Hmm, I'm used to cold, wet and windy days but then it never freezes in autumn here. :hmm: The atlantic storms might also be tougher on you guys than us as we're usually a little sheltered by Norway or Britain.

I think it might be better to wait until I have time in the summer months. :lol: Maybe Maidera instead? Also an Atlantic island but with much better weather.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

How about hiking in October though? I'd cut the vacation down to maybe 10 days and do a 6-7 day walk.

(Direct tickets are on offer atm :P)

Richard Hakluyt

Go in July Liep you arse  :contract:

Sorry  :P

I have cycled in Iceland, summer is quite difficult enough. If you leave the ring road then you are really talking about a minor expedition.

Liep

I don't have time off in July, besides return tickets for October was €190 and in July it's more like €480. :(

Barrister

Quote from: Liep on February 01, 2016, 11:51:11 AM
I don't have time off in July, besides return tickets for October was €190 and in July it's more like €480. :(

And why do you think that is? :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2016, 01:09:28 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 01, 2016, 11:51:11 AM

And why do you think that is? :hmm:

Well, obviously. But Europe is awesome in the off seasons for that exact reason.

Valmy

You're Danish. Tough it out. Besides this is where Legbiter lives so obviously that weather creates Alpha Males. You don't want to be a Beta and go in July do you?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Quote from: mongers on February 01, 2016, 02:17:20 PM

Damn Liep, you're Adventurous/Optimistic/Stupid/Foolhardy/Heroic*  :D

You forgot cheap. :P

And I'm having 2nd thoughts about this, maybe Tel Aviv is a better option (also on sale).

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2016, 02:18:51 PM
You're Danish. Tough it out. Besides this is where Legbiter lives so obviously that weather creates Alpha Males. You don't want to be a Beta and go in July do you?

I'm only like 62/64 Jutish, I also have some Dutch and Spanish ancestors so I'm not all alpha male.

Barrister

I have never in my life thought of the Danes as being tough alpha males.  I had them pegged as one of the mildest stereotypes around.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2016, 02:36:48 PM
I have never in my life thought of the Danes as being tough alpha males.  I had them pegged as one of the mildest stereotypes around.

Vikings?

There are parts of rural Jutland where you can't really go if you're a mild stereotypical Zealander without getting beat up by alpha male Jutes.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2016, 02:36:48 PM

Icelanders, not Danes. Obviously -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Legbiter

Quote from: Liep on February 01, 2016, 11:13:02 AM
Hmm, I'm used to cold, wet and windy days but then it never freezes in autumn here. :hmm: The atlantic storms might also be tougher on you guys than us as we're usually a little sheltered by Norway or Britain.

I think it might be better to wait until I have time in the summer months. :lol: Maybe Maidera instead? Also an Atlantic island but with much better weather.

Yeah I'd if possible want to maintain a perfect 100% Languishbrah survivability score for Iceland, so any biking trips should be done in the summertime.  :lol: Plus if you did show up in October I'd not only mother hen you every 3 hours to check if you were not freezing to death by the roadside, I'd involve the entire Legbiter clan in the business of Keeping Liep Alive as well.  :contract:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.