News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Master of Orion

Started by Arvoreen, August 26, 2016, 03:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arvoreen

So does anyone have any opinion on this?

http://masteroforion.com/

PS: Who would of thought Wargaming.net would be behind this remake?

The Brain

Steam reviews make me stay away.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

I still play the original, and sometimes MoO2 (I own MoO3, but would hesitate to claim that I've ever actually played it--in fact I question whether anyone was ever able to actually play the thing).  What does the remake offer that should make me want to get it, too?

Tonitrus

I was watching one of the pre-access videos one time...apparently they outsourced game development to Argentina? :hmm:

viper37

Quote from: Arvoreen on August 26, 2016, 03:13:57 PM
So does anyone have any opinion on this?

http://masteroforion.com/

PS: Who would of thought Wargaming.net would be behind this remake?
the reviews are pretty bad.  Even Stellaris is ranked better.  Wait for a special and buy Galciv 3 with all the DLCs so far.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

On the other hand, a lot of reviews seem to be suggesting it is just a pretty version of the original.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 26, 2016, 11:10:51 PM
I was watching one of the pre-access videos one time...apparently they outsourced game development to Argentina? :hmm:

Bad memories of the Highlander II movie shot and co-produced in Argentina?  :P

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 30, 2016, 02:37:17 PM
On the other hand, a lot of reviews seem to be suggesting it is just a pretty version of the original.
yes, but it's been 20 years.  20 years of evolution to redo the same thing? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

But...but...they got Mark Hamil to play a bird man!

Richard Hakluyt

It is a pretty remake of MOO2 with slightly fewer features.

I enjoyed it for a while then swiftly got bored, got my money's worth imo. So buy it if you are well-off or wait until it is on sale.

Tamas

It is, basically, a very professionally done remake of MOO2 with some changes.

The issue is, of course, that MOO2 remakes have been made regularly, especially in recent years.
Only a handful of the abundant  4x sci-fi offerings (Distant Worlds, Polaris Sector, Star Ruler 2, and Stellaris) were brave enough to set the MOO2 heritage aside.

So, this game is the best MOO2-style game out there, by a long margin especially if you consider UI and graphics. But the concept of MOO2-style games is worn out and old, at least for me.

celedhring

Was surprised when I saw a boy reading an article of this in one of those gaming magazines. I was intrigued. So it's basically just a MoO2 remastered version?