And we're back!

Main Menu

The Burkini Ban

Started by Josephus, August 26, 2016, 08:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2016, 10:04:40 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2016, 10:02:19 AM
I just find it funny that somehow baring your skin is a cultural imperative in the west, when it really wasn't that long ago when this wsa how you dressed for a day at the beach:

Hey! We had to keep our pasty skin safe in the ante-sunscreen period.

I still do that.  :Embarrass: I have discovered the wonders of swim shirts. No more peeling shoulders, where the sunscreen inevitably wears off.

Fortunately, not even the cops could possibly be expected to believe I'm wearing it to avoid lustful gazes.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Hey! You are somebody's fetish out there Malthus. Best to help keep their thoughts pure.

I also wear a swim shirt though. Gay men and heterosexual women can now keep their lustful thoughts under control.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

It is a very problematic issue, showing well how even a genuine desire to protect secular ways can turn into som fascist shit.

That said, I tend to agree with it.

It is very common to establish and enforce laws and rules that protect a society's perceived values. For example, we have laws punishing domestic violence. We allow divorces. Rape is illegal. So is stealing. Etc.

Now I grant you, wearing a cloth sack on you on the beach is not as damaging as those things. But saying "oh its individual freedom to wear these things they cannot be banned!" is -imho- akin to moral cowardice, because it advocates inaction in face of a symptom of a well known ignorance (at best) of one our fundamental values: gender equality.

The cultural indoctrination and physical oppression of muslim women is the true gender issue of our time, NOT public toilets.

Yes this is not the perfect battleground to fight that battle but it had to start somewhere.

Malthus

Quote from: Tamas on August 26, 2016, 10:32:42 AM
It is a very problematic issue, showing well how even a genuine desire to protect secular ways can turn into som fascist shit.

It is very common to establish and enforce laws and rules that protect a society's perceived values. For example, we have laws punishing domestic violence. We allow divorces. Rape is illegal. So is stealing. Etc.

Now I grant you, wearing a cloth sack on you on the beach is not as damaging as those things. But saying "oh its individual freedom to wear these things they cannot be banned!" is -imho- akin to moral cowardice, because it advocates inaction in face of a symptom of a well known ignorance (at best) of one our fundamental values: gender equality.

The cultural indoctrination and physical oppression of muslim women is the true gender issue of our time, NOT public toilets.

Yes this is not the perfect battleground to fight that battle but it had to start somewhere.

One would think that if one wished to fight the battle against gender inequality via clothing paternalism, one would start with something like banning high-heeled shoes ...  :hmm:

[BTW, a "burkini" looks more like a wetsuit than a "cloth sack": https://www.google.ca/search?q=burkini&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&biw=1920&bih=883&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiEnKzctN_OAhWDGx4KHR9vAG8Q_AUIBigB ]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on August 26, 2016, 10:39:55 AM
One would think that if one wished to fight the battle against gender inequality via clothing paternalism, one would start with something like banning high-heeled shoes ...  :hmm:

I don't think such a bigoted attack on our cowboy boot culture should be allowed :angry:

Oh wait. Just for women. Nevermind we're good.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2016, 09:30:09 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2016, 09:29:05 AM
American politics tainted by religion leads to Trump like candidate gaining huge support.

Trump isn't particularly religious :P

Sam Harris said that if Trump were elected he would be the first Atheist to be President.  And If Sam Harris said it, you can take it to the bank!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

So apparently the burkini ban was overturned in court?

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on August 26, 2016, 10:32:42 AM

Starting the battle against tolerance with something as silly as the burkini pretty well demonstrates the bankruptcy of the anti-tolerance movement.  Many women wear something very much like the burkini every day, but, suddenly, it is intolerable that some women do so at the beach because of suspicions that the woman's modesty is influenced by her religion?  Bullshit. If a person is going to argue that forcibly denying women the right to dress except in accordance with one's religious views is bad, one must also concede that forcibly denying women the right to dress except in accordance with one's anti-religious views is also bad.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Hamilcar

Muslim immigrants: We insist on continuing to live according to our culture and values.
French: We insist you conform to our culture and adopt our values
Muslim immigrants: Nope.
French: Fine, we'll ban your culture until you conform.

Diagnosis: terminal failure of integration.

Recommended course of action: Well, it's a bit too late, sorry. There's what, 6 million of them?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on August 26, 2016, 10:58:53 AM

Yes.  Though it must be remembered that these bans were local ordinances, not national laws.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Yes.

grumbler

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 26, 2016, 11:00:50 AM
Muslim immigrants: We insist on continuing to live according to our culture and values.

Recommended course of action: Well, it's a bit too late, sorry. There's what, 6 million of them?

Diagnosis:  terminal failure of presenting meaningful generalization

Recommended course of action;  don't hit "post" until you have thought about what you are about to post.

the essence of French "culture and values" is not incompatible with the essence of Muslim culture and values; Muslims have successfully lived in France for centuries.

Without question, part of the problem in France is an unwillingness of some muslim immigrant, especially those who consider themselves exiles from their "real" countries, to accept that they have to change many of their ways to conform to the minimum requirements of successfully living in France.  Without question, part of the problem is the intolerance of many French employers, politicians, and bureaucrats for anything that smacks of "Muslim."  Sixty percent of France's prison population is Muslim.  That's failure on both sides.

Fighting the tolerance battles over silly things like the burkini just distracts from fighting the real issues of intolerance on both sides.  It is easier, I suppose, to fight the silly fights than the real ones.

Bayraktar!

Hamilcar

Quote from: grumbler on August 26, 2016, 11:14:45 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on August 26, 2016, 11:00:50 AM

Diagnosis:  terminal failure of presenting meaningful generalization

Recommended course of action;  don't hit "post" until you have thought about what you are about to post.

In your case, the doctor should have recommended an intellectual abortion.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on August 26, 2016, 11:01:12 AM

Yes.  Though it must be remembered that these bans were local ordinances, not national laws.

It was just in Cote d'Azur I thought.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2016, 11:21:22 AM
It was just in Cote d'Azur I thought.

Meh, I heard French Riviera.