News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Burkini Ban

Started by Josephus, August 26, 2016, 08:38:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Surprised there's no Languish ruling on this.

My take: this is nothing but a racist, anti-Muslim decree masquerading as Pro-Female, Pro Secularism.

Honestly, on the beaches of France, for decades, anything goes. You want to wear a piece of cloth that barely covers your clit, fine. No problem. But wait.....you want to cover your whole body....Outrageous.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

We've been discussing this for days. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on August 26, 2016, 08:40:29 AM
We've been discussing this for days. ;)

fuck...I did search you know.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on August 26, 2016, 08:38:25 AM

My take: this is nothing but a racist, anti-Muslim decree masquerading as Pro-Female, Pro Secularism.

Honestly, on the beaches of France, for decades, anything goes. You want to wear a piece of cloth that barely covers your clit, fine. No problem. But wait.....you want to cover your whole body....Outrageous.

We have been discussing it in the Prison Food thread...because of course we have.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Prison food thread renamed because fuck you, that's why.

Josephus

Quote from: Martinus on August 26, 2016, 09:03:16 AM

thanks

Martinus

Quote from: Josephus on August 26, 2016, 09:04:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 26, 2016, 09:03:16 AM

thanks

:hug:

Do me a favour and read the article by Maajid Nawaz I posted, and comment on it. :)

Josquius

Out of it I heard an interesting summary.
In America freedom of religion exists out of the believe that religion needs protecting from the state.
In France freedom of religion exists out of the belief that the state needs protecting from religion.
██████
██████
██████

viper37

you shouldn't use the beach to make a political statement, just like you'll get fined for having sex on a public beach.

Why should we allow the ennemy to spread its propaganda here?  Secularism is the dam that protects democracy and it's under attack from within as well as without.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2016, 09:23:07 AM

you shouldn't use the beach to make a political statement, just like you'll get fined for having sex on a public beach.

Why should we allow the ennemy to spread its propaganda here?  Secularism is the dam that protects democracy and it's under attack from within as well as without.

Where do you draw the line then. If  a guy wears a Speedo with a Star of David on it, should that be banned. if a woman with a disfigurement wants to cover her body, should she be told not to. It's not about making a point at a beach. I'm sure that wasn't the intention.
I take my 5 year old niece to a water park north of Toronto and I do see some women in Burkins. I feel a bit sorry for them, cause that's got to be uncomfortable, but I doubt they're wearing it here and now to make a point.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on August 26, 2016, 09:18:23 AM
Out of it I heard an interesting summary.
In America freedom of religion exists out of the believe that religion needs protecting from the state.
In France freedom of religion exists out of the belief that the state needs protecting from religion.
and we've seen wich one works the best, imho.  American politics tainted by religion leads to Trump like candidate gaining huge support.  The closest you got in France is a Front National overing at 20% at the general election once per generation.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2016, 09:29:05 AM
American politics tainted by religion leads to Trump like candidate gaining huge support.

Trump isn't particularly religious :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Josephus on August 26, 2016, 09:28:23 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2016, 09:23:07 AM

Where do you draw the line then. If  a guy wears a Speedo with a Star of David on it, should that be banned. if a woman with a disfigurement wants to cover her body, should she be told not to. It's not about making a point at a beach. I'm sure that wasn't the intention.
I take my 5 year old niece to a water park north of Toronto and I do see some women in Burkins. I feel a bit sorry for them, cause that's got to be uncomfortable, but I doubt they're wearing it here and now to make a point.
There are religious Jewish sects in Quebec.  They were forced to flee in Ontaria, and later in South American due to persecution from authorities.  Kids were beaten, starved, educated in strict religious morals, seperated from their parents, all in the name of God.
Lots of people called the province racist for that.  Unfair persecution of religious people.

Why is it we are there?  Protecting children from fuck ups is considered an attack agains relgious freedom now?  If we rescue kids from a neo-nazi boot camp, are we attacking freedom of thoughts too?

We've left way too much leeway to religious extremism, and now they are converting more&more people to their cause everyday.

You tell women they are unpure, they are whores if not dressed in a certain way.  You attack them on the street when they are not dressed in a certain way.  And suddenly, they make a "free choice" of dressing a certain way.  And then you have entire communities thinking women are inferior to men and don't deserve equal rights.  And then they push back violently against their host society as they feel ostracized for living in a society that is not to their image.

This is how you create terrorism, and it's what we have to deal now in Western countries.

Religion is private, that's it.  It has no place in a courtroom, it has no place in the army, it has no place in the city counsel, it has no place on the beach.  Worship who you want.  Believe what you want.  Attend the religious service you want when you want.  Fast or feast as you want.  But respect the rights of others to not share your beliefs.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2016, 09:30:09 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 26, 2016, 09:29:05 AM
American politics tainted by religion leads to Trump like candidate gaining huge support.

Trump isn't particularly religious :P
his followers are.  I'm not concerned about Trump, I am about the people following and immitating him.