News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How Trolls are Ruining the Internet

Started by Josephus, August 24, 2016, 07:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

QuoteA 2014 study published in the psychology journal Personality and Individual Differences found that the approximately 5% of Internet users who self-identified as trolls scored extremely high in the dark tetrad of personality traits: narcissism, psychopathy, Machiavellianism and, especially, sadism.

"Machiavellianism" is the easiest and most obvious hint that someone has never read Machiavelli.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

QuoteEditor's Note: An earlier version of this story included a reference to Asperger's Syndrome in an inappropriate context. It has been removed.

:lol:

LaCroix

QuoteOnce it was a geek with lofty ideals about the free flow of information. Now, if you need help improving your upload speeds the web is eager to help with technical details, but if you tell it you're struggling with depression it will try to goad you into killing yourself.

I really doubt the internet was ever a place where only lofty ideals were posted and trolling rarely occurred. the author seems to project what he wishes the internet was rather than what it actually was

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on August 24, 2016, 08:26:53 PM
but if you tell it you're struggling with depression it will try to goad you into killing yourself.

People have been telling jumpers to jump since the invention of the 2nd story.

alfred russel

Is the bigger problem trolls, or people that start new threads for every alarmist op ed or news article that gets posted, with comment other than a single line about how we are doomed?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

You should have your sockpuppet answer that.

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on August 24, 2016, 07:39:04 PM
Ask Raz

I have read Machiavelli: The Prince, the Discourses and a play he wrote about the devil taking a wife.  I also know the MacDonald triad, and it's bullshit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2016, 08:38:08 PM
You should have your sockpuppet answer that.

It was a rhetorical question, no one needs to answer.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

Josephus

Quote from: alfred russel on August 24, 2016, 08:36:55 PM
Is the bigger problem trolls, or people that start new threads for every alarmist op ed or news article that gets posted, with comment other than a single line about how we are doomed?

:huh:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".