YOUNG AMERICANS ARE GIVING UP ON DEMOCRACY

Started by jimmy olsen, August 19, 2016, 06:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I'm giving up on alarmist Tim threads, especially the ones in all caps.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Savonarola

Quote from: alfred russel on August 19, 2016, 08:48:38 PM
I'm giving up on alarmist Tim threads, especially the ones in all caps.

Sho' nuff
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

I'm prepared to meet young people halfway on this.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 20, 2016, 02:32:14 AM
I'm prepared to meet young people halfway on this.

Young people don't want to meet you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Maybe this thread needs an antidote, might I suggest a nice cup of tea.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Takes mongers tea and dumps it in the water.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I wouldn't see it as being at all important to live in a democratic country.... though being a citizen of a democratic country is important.
The two are different things.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Same. Wouldn't live in, say North Korea, but would live in China maybe Middle East for a while. Not forever and the UK/Irish passport matters.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I'd feel a bit guilty. Like if I lived in a slum and was like haha, screw you losers.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

On a certain level, living in a non-democracy where the rule of law is followed and the law itself isn't completely screwed up isn't really that much different from living in a democracy of which you're not a citizen. 

On another level, how many non-democracies meet those criteria and how much faith do you want to place on them continuing to do so?

Hamilcar

I've lived in an oligarchy for a while. It was fine, and I still enjoy visiting America from time to time.

Josquius

In the Middle East its more the lack of alcohol, the weather, shitty soulless modern cities, and crime that tell me I don't want to live there. All I've heard of Dubai screams no to me.
China...I'd be more open to that. Though the pollution in the air and food is off putting.
Thailand though, I could definitely live there for a few years.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2016, 11:21:01 AM
I'd feel a bit guilty. Like if I lived in a slum and was like haha, screw you losers.

Well enough about you living in the UK, Al-right?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on August 20, 2016, 12:28:32 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2016, 11:21:01 AM

Well enough about you living in the UK, Al-right?

The UK isn't a slum and I'm sorry you feel that way. :(