Do you support any artists via Patreon or similar programme?

Started by Martinus, August 19, 2016, 03:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 22, 2016, 04:21:46 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 22, 2016, 04:06:05 PM
That said, I suppose there are some (plenty of?) people who manage to get money for promising stuff rather than delivering

Just like the market indeed.

Touche, my friend  :lol:

Martinus

In fact I would go on to say that the very inherent nature of capitalism presupposes the existence of the mecenate, the patronage of arts, spending money on luxury and fine arts by those who can afford it. The miser and the penny pincher is the very antithesis of capitalism.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on August 22, 2016, 05:08:39 PM
In fact I would go on to say that the very inherent nature of capitalism presupposes the existence of the mecenate, the patronage of arts, spending money on luxury and fine arts by those who can afford it. The miser and the penny pincher is the very antithesis of capitalism.

Or in other words, the amassing of capital is the antithesis of capitalism.  :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on August 22, 2016, 05:08:39 PM

Well, I learned a new word today.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on August 22, 2016, 03:50:07 PM
Well yes, that is the "traditional" way. Musician put out an album, people buy a cd or pay to download.

How I understood this patronage concept is you pay people so they can pursue their art without having to market it, sell it etc.

Did I misunderstand? The website is confusing (to me).

Well right. They produce free shit you like and you give them money so they can continue to make free shit. As I said it is like a street performer passing the hat.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."