Do you support any artists via Patreon or similar programme?

Started by Martinus, August 19, 2016, 03:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on August 22, 2016, 05:47:26 AM
lol, not that part. Feels like artificially sustaining worthless pursuits.

Aren't we supposed to be good little capitalists? What happened to the market deciding?

Eh it is just passing the hat after you entertain the masses. It does not offend the Gods of Capitalism in any way :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2016, 06:43:11 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 22, 2016, 06:05:27 AM
save your soul from all that uncircumsized European cock through the years

I'm not sure I get this. Is there something particularly problematic with servicing uncut cock vs cut?

Uncut Euro cock = Royale with Cheese.  On account of the metric system.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 22, 2016, 10:17:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2016, 06:43:11 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 22, 2016, 06:05:27 AM
save your soul from all that uncircumsized European cock through the years

I'm not sure I get this. Is there something particularly problematic with servicing uncut cock vs cut?

Uncut Euro cock = Royale with Cheese.  On account of the metric system.

While there is a chance they might not properly clean, as men are gross when given allowance, I can tell you that has yet to be a problem for me. Now maybe that happens with all those cocks you suck of Euros who make it to B'more but I doubt that's the typical experience.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Jacob

Aren't we supposed to be good little capitalists? What happened to the market deciding?

It is the market.

Someone makes some art (or otherwise cuts a figure in the imagination of at least a subset of the public). If enough people decide to support them, that person continues to make art in that vein. Often, they adjust the direction of their art to address the desires of their customers.

If no one cares (or not enough, anyhow) the artist gets no money and most likely gives up or changes direction after a bit.

That's pretty much the market deciding.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Martinus

To come completely clean and for whomever (aka Seedee) it may concern, none of the artists I support does deviantart style homo art (none of them is gay either).

One is a chick who does (de)motivational online comic strips/cartoons. I find her style funny and I want her to continue to do so as it brightens my day (the physical piece of art I got from that thing is a sock-puppet cat :P).

The other is a guy who is about the age of my mom (who had me at the age of 32), married (to a woman) with a kid, and writes books I enjoy (I have 4 of them on my shelf) and also records music (that I don't enjoy that much but want to support him).

CountDeMoney

"Still Life of Gay with Wine Glass"
L. Wiktor
Pencil on napkin, 2015

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 22, 2016, 03:35:08 PM
"Still Life of Gay with Wine Glass"
L. Wiktor
Pencil on napkin, 2015
:lol:

P.S. I never met either of them in my life.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zoupa

Quote from: Jacob on August 22, 2016, 03:22:00 PM

It is the market.

Someone makes some art (or otherwise cuts a figure in the imagination of at least a subset of the public). If enough people decide to support them, that person continues to make art in that vein. Often, they adjust the direction of their art to address the desires of their customers.

If no one cares (or not enough, anyhow) the artist gets no money and most likely gives up or changes direction after a bit.

That's pretty much the market deciding.

Well yes, that is the "traditional" way. Musician put out an album, people buy a cd or pay to download.

How I understood this patronage concept is you pay people so they can pursue their art without having to market it, sell it etc.

Did I misunderstand? The website is confusing (to me).

Jacob

Quote from: Zoupa on August 22, 2016, 03:50:07 PM
Well yes, that is the "traditional" way. Musician put out an album, people buy a cd or pay to download.

How I understood this patronage concept is you pay people so they can pursue their art without having to market it, sell it etc.

Did I misunderstand? The website is confusing (to me).

Well yeah, but from what I understand most successful people with patreon supporters put out some sort of recurring free product - say a webcomic or podcast or whatever - which everyone can access. So they still provide a product that people consume, and they very much market in that patreon supporters often get stuff - or access to stuff - that regular followers do not (i.e. maybe they get earlier access to the weekly comic, or a signed drawing or something). However, the free recurring offering is one of the key components in securing patreon supporters.

That said, I suppose there are some (plenty of?) people who manage to get money for promising stuff rather than delivering, but I think (hope) that that is less common and/or successful.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Jacob on August 22, 2016, 04:06:05 PM
That said, I suppose there are some (plenty of?) people who manage to get money for promising stuff rather than delivering

Just like the market indeed.
Que le grand cric me croque !