On average, only older men really contribute to society

Started by Hamilcar, August 18, 2016, 07:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on August 18, 2016, 07:51:57 PM
Alternate interpretation: older men have managed to arrange society such that they are the primary beneficiaries.

I dont have that kind of superpower

crazy canuck

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 19, 2016, 07:57:15 AM
Here is the non-cumulative version. Someone teach grumbler how to read papers.

Oh he can read alright.  But there is no fixing his assitude.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 19, 2016, 08:52:30 AM
Quote from: Legbiter on August 19, 2016, 08:07:31 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 19, 2016, 05:09:13 AMSo the graph is really saying that workers make a net positive fiscal contribution to the state whereas their dependents do not, this is not a stunning insight.

Yes but this is a hatefact to the progessive Left since that generally means women, except maybe the spinster career types, are dependents, economically speaking.

I see that but it one of the reasons why I don't get on too well with the "progressive left". To me it is clear that around half the work is performed outside the formal economic sector, most of it by women. As sexual equality becomes a reality we can expect the percentages to change (perhaps, many women may have a genuine preference for work within the household structure); until then it seems strange to insist that they do an equal amount of paid employment as well as the majority of the informal work.

So by "'progressive' left" are were referring to some sort of leftist group that only exists in theory? I'm not sure I've seen a call for women to do all work. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

As an aside the term "progressive left" is a bit odd.  Is there such thing as a "progressive right" or a "progressive middle"?  Is there a regressive left?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 19, 2016, 09:06:03 AM
Is there a regressive left?

I presume there is. Marty talks about them all the time.

Quoteprogressive middle

I like to think that is me :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

derspiess

Or maybe just a complaining tax.  Could work sort of like a swear jar.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on August 19, 2016, 09:11:14 AM
Or maybe just a complaining tax.  Could work sort of like a swear jar.

Or a shoe tax. Over 5 pairs of shoes? Time to pay.

Hamilcar

grumbler

Quote from: Hamilcar on August 19, 2016, 07:57:15 AM
Here is the non-cumulative version. Someone teach grumbler how to read papers.

So, looking at that graph, do you still want to argue that "only older men really contribute to society?"  Look carefully at men aged 23 to, say, 50, before you answer. 

Someone teach Hamilcar how to read graphs... and, for that matter, how to troll without looking foolish.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Hamilcar

Quote from: grumbler on August 19, 2016, 09:34:28 AM
.. and, for that matter, how to troll without looking foolish.

Waa waa look at me, I'm grumbler, I accuse everyone of trolling, and now I'm surprised that it doesn't stick anymore. Waaa!

Ed Anger

Let's get back to the more important thing, my misogyny.