US justice department announces it will end use of private prisons

Started by garbon, August 18, 2016, 01:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: dps on August 18, 2016, 03:53:18 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on August 18, 2016, 03:30:29 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 18, 2016, 03:08:44 PM
So other than it not saving any money and not providing better service, is there any concrete reason to get rid of private prisons?

The aqueduct? Sanitation? Roads?

I'm not sure what any of those have to do with Berkut's question. 

Oh come on. That was such an easy joke to get - particularly with Berk's post as the lead.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

They've got the prison companies branching out into refugee facilities these days.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2016, 04:04:30 PM
So other than it not saving any money and not providing better service, is there any concrete reason to get rid of private prisons?

Oh come on. That was such an easy joke to get - particularly with Berk's post as the lead.

Yeah.  The only thing wrong with it was that I didn't get to post it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Wait, you mean the private sector wasn't better than the public sector?  I am shocked, shocked.  I imagine Gary Johnson will be as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

I doubt it. I bet he is more familiar with the drawbacks of federal contracting than someone who would say that.

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 18, 2016, 04:49:51 PM
I doubt it. I bet he is more familiar with the drawbacks of federal contracting than someone who would say that.

Nah.  Gary Johnson thinks, for instance, that the public sector War on Drugs has been a colossal failure.  He clearly is only saying that out of ideological zealotry.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

He's done quite a bit to privatize prisons in New Mexico.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

MadImmortalMan

I don't know anything about NM's contracting methods. I can make a very educated guess that they're better than the federal ones though.  :P

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2016, 05:02:06 PM

Nah.  Gary Johnson thinks, for instance, that the public sector War on Drugs has been a colossal failure.  He clearly is only saying that out of ideological zealotry.

I guess we should gear up the private sector one then

windows 7 print screen

crazy canuck

Don't we revoke membership cards for this kind of violation?