The Utility of Olympic Sports and Skills in Modern Life?

Started by mongers, August 16, 2016, 06:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Any suggestions as to how useful the various Olympic sports and their necessary skills are in modern day to day living?

100m,200m,400m sprints - just change the finishing line for that of a bus or train one needs to catch.

Pole vaulting - I'm struggling with this one, perhaps useful if you live in rural Netherlands or Bangladesh and want to try taking a few short cuts.

Dressage - I can see no use for this, admittedly there are horsing riding skills involved, but the other olypmic horse events more directly demonstrate those.   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Eddie Teach

I saw them pole vault across the river on Dual Survival.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on August 16, 2016, 06:02:42 PM

Pole vaulting - I'm struggling with this one, perhaps useful if you live in rural Netherlands or Bangladesh and want to try taking a few short cuts.

The long jump would be more appropriate. Or rather, realistically estimating your ability to jump. Swimming ties in quite well, too.

Phillip V

alfred russel

Quote from: Maladict on August 17, 2016, 02:26:53 AM
Quote from: mongers on August 16, 2016, 06:02:42 PM

The long jump would be more appropriate. Or rather, realistically estimating your ability to jump. Swimming ties in quite well, too.

I'm not sure the purpose for the triple jump. When you have to jump over 2 short creeks followed by a big one?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Didn't Alvarado supposedly use the pole vault during La Noche Triste?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

On a serious note in an otherwise trivial thread, I recall one Polish (?) concentration camp inmate who used an improvised pole to vault over the wire to the outside, I think he might have been a champion athlete, the Germans caught him, forced him to do it again and then murdered him.  :(

This may have been at Sobibor ?