Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 25, 2016, 09:31:11 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 25, 2016, 09:27:33 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 25, 2016, 09:23:54 AM
Ed's plan:

Send Tim.
Blow up spaceship halfway there.

Better yet blow up the "spaceship" still on Earth. Much cheaper.

Let him get one last thrill. I'm a nice guy.

That's not what Hitler would do.  :(

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 25, 2016, 07:45:02 PM
Ed's plan:

Send Tim.

Jews got a Train ride. Tim gets a rocket ride.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 25, 2016, 07:45:02 PM
Ed's plan:

Send Tim.

WWHD?

jimmy olsen

The James Webb Space Telescope will definitely be able to discover whether or not this planet is habitable.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1608.07345
QuoteThe newly detected Earth-mass planet in the habitable zone of Proxima Centauri could potentially host life - if it has an atmosphere that supports surface liquid water. We show that thermal phase curve observations with the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) from 5-12 microns can be used to test the existence of such an atmosphere. We predict the thermal variation for a bare rock versus a planet with 35% heat redistribution to the nightside and show that a JWST phase curve measurement can distinguish between these cases at 5σ  confidence. We also consider the case of an Earth-like atmosphere, and find that the ozone 9.8 micron band could be detected with longer integration times (a few months). We conclude that JWST observations have the potential to put the first constraints on the possibility of life around the nearest star to the Solar System.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It's dead Jim! :weep:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billretherford/2018/02/26/gigantic-stellar-flare-slams-earths-closest-exoplanet/#30e1cfde6ab7
QuoteGigantic Stellar Flare Slams Earth's Closest Exoplanet

Bill Retherford , CONTRIBUTOR

There's breaking news from Proxima b.

And for those hoping the exoplanet harbored life—it's just heartbreaking.

Astronomers today announced the discovery of a colossal stellar flare that erupted from the planet's host star, Proxima Centauri.

The flare, extraordinarily powerful, "likely blasted" the world with "high energy radiation," says Meredith MacGregor of the Carnegie Institution for Science.

And almost certainly not for the first time: similar flares, the scientists suggest, have probably bombarded Proxima b for possibly billions of years.

"That's a pretty safe conclusion," MacGregor says. "We observed for only ten hours and caught this one. So you can extrapolate—and imagine these flares might be relatively common."

If so, Proxima b could be a dead world.

The flare occurred almost one year ago, in March 2017. It lasted two minutes. At its peak, Proxima Centauri's brightness increased by 1,000 times.

Flares of such magnitude might eventually obliterate a planetary atmosphere, sterilizing the landscape; with no atmosphere, liquid surface water can't exist.

"This certainly raises questions about possible habitability," MacGregor says.

Yet the detection doesn't completely rule out extraterrestrial life on the planet: "There are a lot of factors we still don't understand. I hesitate to immediately squash it (the possibility of life)."

MacGregor's team analyzed data from Chile's ALMA Observatory. Those findings, just published, appear in The Astrophysical Journal Letters.

Proxima b—a rocky world about the size of Earth, and inside the habitable zone—is our nearest exoplanet, about twenty five trillion miles away. In space, that's close.

Since its August 2016 discovery, the planet was believed a possible place for life; perhaps even an archetype for other small, temperate worlds closely orbiting a red dwarf star. The galaxy has tens of billions of them.

If Proxima b is indeed a template for those planets—then stellar flares might routinely wipe out their atmospheres too. And the number of potentially habitable planets in the Milky Way would significantly decline.

Says MacGregor: "Seeing results like this prompts us to learn more about exactly what's going on in these stars."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

You didn't really think we'd find a suitable planet the first place we looked?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

QuoteThe flare occurred almost one year ago, in March 2017.

Did they pick it up on those secret FTL sensors?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

It's a world full of preppers in tents going on about EMP effects.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grinning_Colossus

Well it certainly destroyed all the orbital power transmitters.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 27, 2018, 11:29:58 AM

I'm prepared for the poles to shift!

Jacob

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 27, 2018, 07:36:38 AM
It's dead Jim! :weep:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billretherford/2018/02/26/gigantic-stellar-flare-slams-earths-closest-exoplanet/#30e1cfde6ab7
QuoteGigantic Stellar Flare Slams Earth's Closest Exoplanet

Ah, too bad. I'll have to cancel my vacation plans for there. It was pretty exciting before this happened though, and certainly there are other planets out there with life and habitable to humans hopefully close enough for astronomers to find sooner than later. Not that we can go there anytime soon but it adds interest and excitement.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on February 27, 2018, 08:22:59 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 27, 2018, 08:19:24 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 27, 2018, 11:29:58 AM

I'm prepared for the poles to shift!

Shifty Poles?

If you can find it, watch some episodes of Doomsday Preppers. The pandemic and economic collapse scenarios I can understand, but the folks preparing for a pole shift were nuttier than squirrel shit.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien