News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fort Worth

Started by Savonarola, August 05, 2016, 03:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Hey if I'm already road trippin, I can go down to Austin just as easy.

My dad owns land in San Marcos, which might be the only thing I could ever inherit.  ;)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Quote from: mongers on August 05, 2016, 04:35:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 05, 2016, 04:29:15 PM
Seems to me DFW is exactly the place you would want to go to an over the top titteraunt.  When in Rome.

Yeah, wise words.

I do believe most of the breastaurant chains originate from TX.

Admiral Yi

I know the Ur-breastaurant started somewhere in Florida.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on August 05, 2016, 05:19:15 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 05, 2016, 05:07:37 PM
Sav: Is this for BNSF?

Yes, I'll be at BNSF headquarters for a third party vendor training.

Fuck those fucking fuck assholes.  I was qualified to be an conductor trainee.   :mad:

Hope headquarters decouples and derails.  Assholes.

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 05, 2016, 06:01:49 PM
Hey if I'm already road trippin, I can go down to Austin just as easy.

My dad owns land in San Marcos, which might be the only thing I could ever inherit.  ;)

Nah just stay there. I will be there on the 6th and 7th for a training if anybody wants to meet up. Though I will be in Frisco, not Fort Worth.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 05, 2016, 05:55:25 PM

My dad's wife...my mom-in-law...whatever you want to call it, works there. She's pretty great TBH.

If you're dad's wife is also your mother-in-law, I think that means you're married to your sister.  Something weird there in your family tree, anyway.

I assume you actually meant stepmom, but hey, it's really none of my business.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: dps on August 06, 2016, 03:42:49 AM
I assume you actually meant stepmom, but hey, it's really none of my business.

Yeah, stepmom. I guess I never really thought about it before.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Valmy on August 05, 2016, 08:35:09 PM
Nah just stay there. I will be there on the 6th and 7th for a training if anybody wants to meet up. Though I will be in Frisco, not Fort Worth.

Where in Frisco?

Valmy

Northeast of the intersection of Sam Rayburn and Dallas Tollways.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 05, 2016, 05:21:11 PM
I'm not all that familiar with the Ft. Worth side of the Metroplex.  What's is a decent choice, but Hard Eight just north of the airport is better.  There are some interesting places near the Will Rogers Auditorium and the museums.  I will have more input when I get home.  Put me down for the meetup, though.

I'm guessing you will be staying near downtown, since BNSF is right next to it.  Besides the places MIM recommended, Mi Cocina on Sundance Square is a good mid-scale Mexican place; it's a local chain.  Also, there are two Del Frisco's there: Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steakhouse and Del Frisco's Grille.  The former is what made Del Frisco's famous while the latter is a newer casual place.

If you don't mind going a couple miles out of downtown the Stockyards and Cultural District both have good options.  Near the Stockyards is Joe T. Garcia's Mexican restaurant.  Probably one of the most famous places in Ft. Worth.  Dinner menu has literally three choices: beef fajitas, chicken fajitas, or family-style dinner with cheese enchiladas and beef tacos.  Also, cash-only.  Right next to the Stockyards are a pair of Tim Love restaurants.  Lonesome Dove Western Bistro is a somewhat pricey high-end concept restaurant that would be a good alternative to Del Frisco's Double Eagle, particularly if you are interested in trying some exotic game meats like elk or rattlesnake.  Love Shack  is a gourmet burger place.

Over in the Cultural District Fred's Texas Cafe is a good choice for a variety of Texas staples.  On the way to the Cultural District but a bit east are a couple other Mexican options.  Chuy's is an Austin import famous for it's kitschy decor, Elvis worship, and oddly-named menu items.  Gloria's is another local chain that focuses on southern Mexican and Guatemalan fare, which can be a welcome distraction from the onslaught of Tex-Mex.

That's the extent of my limited knowledge of Ft. Worth dining options.  If you were over on this side of the Metroplex I could be much more helpful. :P

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2016, 12:50:14 PM
Northeast of the intersection of Sam Rayburn and Dallas Tollways.

Oh, right next to the Swedish meatballs. :)

Valmy

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 06, 2016, 01:41:35 PM
Oh, right next to the Swedish meatballs. :)

:lol:

Yep. Right behind in fact

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on August 05, 2016, 05:52:59 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 05, 2016, 04:07:45 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on August 05, 2016, 03:38:19 PM
DFW is a very large airport with an assortment of shops and restaurants.

Doesn't that describe much of the developed world?

No? Most of the world is not a very large airport.

Though, if most of the world was an airport it would be a very large airport indeed.

sbr

If the whole world was an airport would you be able to fly to other cities?  Or would you have to take a shuttle bus or one of those moving walkways?