News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Acts of Terrorism megathread

Started by mongers, August 04, 2016, 08:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.thelocal.at/20170120/islamist-terror-suspect-nabbed-prior-to-bomb-attack

QuoteIslamist terror suspect nabbed prior to bomb attack

Austria's interior minister said Friday that the authorities averted a potential "terror attack" in Vienna with the arrest by armed police of an 18-year-old suspected Islamist extremist.
"Our police forces managed in quick time to arrest a suspect and so prevent a potential terror attack in the federal capital Vienna," Wolfgang Sobotka said shortly after police in the capital announced the arrest.

"The suspect is an Austrian citizen with a migrant background who is 18 years old," Sobotka told a news conference. He said that possible indications that he may be an Islamic extremist were being looked into.

"There are individual indications (of extremism) that we have to investigate. There is one contact that is pretty clear and there are several indications that will be looked at intensively," Sobotka said.

A police spokeswoman told AFP that signs had multiplied in "recent days" that there might be an attack in the city, which is popular with foreign tourists, and that security measures had been increased.

"The presence of uniformed and plainclothes police was increased and today at 1800 (1700 GMT) the suspect was arrested in Vienna near his address," spokeswoman Irina Steier said.

Sobotka said that the man, who lived in Vienna, had been under observation for several days and that he did not resist arrest. He said that "decisive" information came from foreign intelligence agencies.

Austria spared so far

Police also issued a public warning for people to be on the lookout at crowded public places and to inform police if they see any suspicious objects.

Austria has been spared in the string of attacks by Islamist extremists in recent years suffered by other European countries.

In 2015 a record 90,000 people applied for asylum in Austria after hundreds of thousands of migrants transited the country bound for Germany and elsewhere.

Several of the attackers behind the November 2015 deadly attacks in Paris transited through Austria with false papers among the flow of migrants.

In December 2015, two migrants were arrested in Salzburg and later extradited to France over their alleged intent to take part in those attacks, which left 130 people dead.

A Moroccan asylum-seeker was detained in Austria in December for allegedly planning an attack in Salzburg over the Christmas and New Year period, prosecutors said.

The 25-year-old was arrested in a refugee centre in a small Alpine resort town near Salzburg in western Austria, close to the German border.

"Today's case shows once again that Austria is no blessed isle. That Austria, like Europe, has to expect terror situations," Sobotka said.

Austria's opposition far-right has risen in popularity by stoking concerns about immigrants, coming close in 2016 to winning the largely ceremonial but coveted presidency and leading national opinion polls.

'Albanian origin'

In the latest arrest, the Kronen-Zeitung newspaper published online a document from the BVT anti-terrorism agency saying that a group of "radical Islamists of Albanian origin" intended to launch an attack in Vienna.

It said that according to information from a foreign intelligence agency and, independently from a foreign police force, the attack was to take place between January 15 and January 30.

The document, whose veracity could not be confirmed, added that a German-speaking sympathiser of the Islamic State (IS) extremist group made explosives in Germany and that he intended to bring them to Vienna to carry
out an attack.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

Side note, to that, but I was reading that many art museums were saying they think they had a drop off in visitors because of concerns of terrorism. I can see Paris because of the media coverage it has gotten but is that really true of other cities? Like London say?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on February 03, 2017, 04:37:15 AM
Soldier shoots a knife attacker at Louvre

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38853841

QuoteA French soldier guarding the Louvre in Paris has shot a man who tried to attack a security patrol with a machete shouting "Allahu Akbar", police say.

A machete, not a knife.
Religion of peace again, no Irish methodists, no anarchists, no far-right, no anti-illuminati (remember the awful Da Vinci Code?). 

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on February 03, 2017, 05:55:15 AM
Quote from: Liep on February 03, 2017, 04:37:15 AM
Soldier shoots a knife attacker at Louvre

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38853841

QuoteA French soldier guarding the Louvre in Paris has shot a man who tried to attack a security patrol with a machete shouting "Allahu Akbar", police say.

A machete, not a knife.
Religion of peace again, no Irish methodists, no anarchists, no far-right, no anti-illuminati (remember the awful Da Vinci Code?). 

Well just because it doesn't make international news, I don't think it would be wise to discount ongoing IRA related violence in NI/Ireland. That ain't over.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

English press currently has that he had knives and machete but attack on soldier was with knife.

viper37

6 dead in Quebec city by a fan of Trump.  So far, his supporters have killed more people than muslims did in my country.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on February 03, 2017, 11:03:23 AM
6 dead in Quebec city by a fan of Trump.  So far, his supporters have killed more people than muslims did in my country.

I like how you spin a Quebec nationalist murdering Muslims as somehow Trump's fault.  You and grallon were quite vocal about not wanting these people in Quebec.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on February 03, 2017, 11:44:51 AM

I like how you spin a Quebec nationalist murdering Muslims as somehow Trump's fault.  You and grallon were quite vocal about not wanting these people in Quebec.
Just because you imagine things does not make them real.  I always said I did not want fanatics and I had nothing against secular muslims.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2017, 06:23:06 AM
English press currently has that he had knives and machete but attack on soldier was with knife.

French press says otherwise.

Quote"Le pronostic vital de l'assaillant est très engagé" selon le procureur de Paris
Lors d'une conférence de presse ce vendredi soir, le procureur de Paris François Molins a déclaré que "tout indique que l'auteur était très déterminé".

Il est ensuite revenu sur le déroule des faits : "Ce matin, vers 9h50, alors que quatre militaires de l'Opération Sentinelle se trouvaient en patrouille au sous-sol du Caroussel du Louvre, un individu est arrivé par le grand escalier côté Tuileries (...)"

"Avec un sac à dos et d'un T-shirt avec une tête de mort, une machette dans chaque main, les bras levés, il s'est précipité sur les militaires et a frappé un premier militaire qui l'a repoussé, puis a tenté de porter des coups de machette au second (...)"

Le procureur a ensuite précisé que "le pronostic vital de l'assaillant est très engagé". "Les militaires, eux, ont scrupuleusement respecté la doctrine d'emploi des armes."

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-france/2017/02/03/01016-20170203LIVWWW00094-un-militaire-tire-sur-un-homme-apres-une-agression-au-couteau-a-paris.php#798011

Executive Summary
The perpetrator might not survive, since he was seriously wounded.
In other news, he bought 2 machetes at Bastille for 600 euros.

Richard Hakluyt

He was ripped off. A perfectly good machete can be obtained for $50.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on February 03, 2017, 03:20:37 PM

Just because you imagine things does not make them real.  I always said I did not want fanatics and I had nothing against secular muslims.

Well, these were obviously not "secular Muslims" they were in a Mosque.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 03, 2017, 11:55:40 PM
He was ripped off. A perfectly good machete can be obtained for $50.
`

:D
Bastille nowadays is a tourist trap, not far from the homo neighborhood, bobo/hipster heaven so your post makes sense. :)

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on February 04, 2017, 12:14:58 AM
Quote from: viper37 on February 03, 2017, 03:20:37 PM

Well, these were obviously not "secular Muslims" they were in a Mosque.
secular does not mean atheist.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on February 04, 2017, 10:22:16 AM
secular does not mean atheist.

Correct.  It means non-religious (or non-spiritual, if you are being pedantic).

"Secular Muslim" is an oxymoron.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!