News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

WW1: German victory in France = peace?

Started by The Brain, August 03, 2016, 05:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

If Germany had conquered France in 1914, would the war have ended? How about 1918?

1914: Russia still in the war but the US still out. Not yet years of bitter bloodshed.

1918: Russia out but the US in. Lots of blood under the bridge.

What say you?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zoupa

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on August 03, 2016, 05:29:42 PM
If Germany had conquered France in 1914, would the war have ended? How about 1918?

1914: Russia still in the war but the US still out. Not yet years of bitter bloodshed.

What say you?

Niall Ferguson had the 'answer' to this. :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

LaCroix

dps

jimmy olsen

If they had reached Paris in '14? Don't see how the French would have survived that. Peace wouldn't be that harsh without all the blood that was later spilled.

Russia would fight on for a couple more years then collapse. Not sure what Britain would do.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 03, 2016, 06:28:01 PM
If they had reached Paris in '14? Don't see how the French would have survived that. Peace wouldn't be that harsh without all the blood that was later spilled.

Russia would fight on for a couple more years then collapse. Not sure what Britain would do.

[/Timmay]

Ally with Germany and invade America.  :punk:

[/Timmay]

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Ants.  Big ones.  On the Polish-Belorussian border.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

I think Russia would sue for peace with the fall of France.  There would be no hope of beating the CP, and France's surrender would give the Tsar a scapegoat for his inability to protect the Serbs.  Germany and Russia had no significant disputes between them and a great deal of commonality.  Germany could afford to give Russia a white peace, and Cousin Willie would probably insist on it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Though I wonder how AH and the Ottomans would make out.  Both would still have lots of unresolved internal problems...and I imagine a frustrated British Empire would probably still try and pick apart colonies from the Ottomans.  And Russia suing for peace might still well get knocked up by the Bolsheviks (if Germany lets Lenin go, anyway).

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on August 03, 2016, 06:15:24 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 03, 2016, 05:29:42 PM

What say you?

Niall Ferguson had the 'answer' to this. :unsure:

But his dog ate it?

The Brain

I know little about the British mindset in 1914. Was a long, lonely (one way or the other Russia would likely be out reasonably soon), total war a path that the UK government would take? Or even consider?  My impression is that waiting for the US to enter the war would have appeared a wee bit optimistic given the situation.

Valmy

Sure. And if Russia had not collapsed in the Gorlice-Tarnow offensive in 1915 the Allies probably wrap it up that year. Both sides had a chance for a knock-out blow in the first full year of the war and it didn't work out for various reasons. But this was WWI, all plans were destined to inevitably fail.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 03, 2016, 09:49:29 PM
Though I wonder how AH and the Ottomans would make out.  Both would still have lots of unresolved internal problems...and I imagine a frustrated British Empire would probably still try and pick apart colonies from the Ottomans.  And Russia suing for peace might still well get knocked up by the Bolsheviks (if Germany lets Lenin go, anyway).

I don't think a German puppet...er...allied Ottoman Empire is going to be picked apart by the British. Nor do I think a Russia not bled white by 1915 and 1916 would have collapsed the same way. The Tsar could just say the French let the Russians down.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 04, 2016, 07:20:21 AM
Sure. And if Russia had not collapsed in the Gorlice-Tarnow offensive in 1915 the Allies probably wrap it up that year. Both sides had a chance for a knock-out blow in the first full year of the war and it didn't work out for various reasons. But this was WWI, all plans were destined to inevitably fail.

Wait... what?  If the Russians hadn't been utterly defeated and routed, the Germans would have lost the war in 1915?  That's rather a bizarre claim, especially as the British and French didn't even launch any successful major attacks in 1915 and the British commander was fired at the end of the year.

Who, exactly, was going to defeat the CP in 1915?  Not the Russians (even if not routed, they would have been defeated), not the British, and not the French.  The Belgians?  Italy?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!