News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Trip of a Lifetime

Started by Savonarola, August 01, 2016, 09:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: alfred russel on August 01, 2016, 01:37:20 PM
That has always been a somewhat daring trip, but in 10 years when people forget that Egypt was once more stable, that will seem really daring.

I was there in 2007, in the midst of the Mubarak era, so there really wasn't that much danger.  However right when I landed in Abu Simbel (about 20 miles from the border with Sudan) the Sudanese teddy bear blasphemy case was just getting underway and every British paper seemed to have a picture of a Sudanese mob led by a man brandishing a machete on its front page.  Fortunately I was a long way from Khartoum, and the Nubians didn't seem to care much one way or the other.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

I really don't know. In this day and age I can do any trip I want on earth and to say go to space would be cheating.

I guess if one of the more dangerous places could be safer? Travel around Africa or south America without fearing for my health. .. could be nice.
The old USSR too, despite a lack of Russian.

Quote from: Monoriu on August 01, 2016, 09:25:36 AM
I once thought about travelling in Japan for a month by car and/or train.  I love the place.  It is beautiful, safe, convenient, civilised.  The food is fantastic.  I don't speak Japanese but we have been to Japan at least 20 times by now that we realise it isn't an issue.   The problems would be that it is quite expensive, and that there isn't enough real differentiation among the different regions. 

Unusual .
One of the things I like about japan is that it really keeps its regional diversity. In spite of ugly temporary modern buildings everywhere .
Someday I'll get around to finishing up every prefecture.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Sailing around the world is the cliche (but still true) answer, but of course I don't know how to sail.

I've always wanted to ride the Trans-Siberian Railroad. So maybe that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

I sailed from San Francisco to the Galapagos to Easter Island to French Polynesia to Hawaii then back to San Francisco as crew on a 60 foot ketch.  However, I was 21 at the time so it was wasted on me.

Maybe biking the Alp d'Heuz or other such  Tour de France switchback climbs (even the Montvernier would be fun).
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Maladict

Quote from: PDH on August 01, 2016, 03:22:26 PM
I sailed from San Francisco to the Galapagos to Easter Island to French Polynesia to Hawaii then back to San Francisco as crew on a 60 foot ketch.  However, I was 21 at the time so it was wasted on me.

Maybe biking the Alp d'Heuz or other such  Tour de France switchback climbs (even the Montvernier would be fun).

Alpe d'Huez is a lot of fun, quite doable too.

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on August 01, 2016, 02:52:21 PM
Sailing around the world is the cliche (but still true) answer, but of course I don't know how to sail.

I've always wanted to ride the Trans-Siberian Railroad. So maybe that.

I've wanted to do that, and go across Canada by train as well.  If I retire from the rail industry I'll do those in my retirement and tell the train employees how much better things were run in my day.   ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Liep

Quote from: Savonarola on August 01, 2016, 03:56:45 PMIf I retire from the rail industry I'll do those in my retirement and tell the train employees how much better things were run in my day.   ;)

We love that. :hug:

I've been told countless times that the old trains were much better because most things could be fixed by blocking a switch or kicking something. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maladict on August 01, 2016, 03:31:20 PM
Alpe d'Huez is a lot of fun, quite doable too.

Did Duez and Luez get mountains too?

Savonarola

Quote from: Liep on August 01, 2016, 04:06:51 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 01, 2016, 03:56:45 PMIf I retire from the rail industry I'll do those in my retirement and tell the train employees how much better things were run in my day.   ;)

I've been told countless times that the old trains were much better because most things could be fixed by blocking a switch or kicking something. :P

You'll be doing that yourself soon enough.   ;)

But it is surprising (to me, at least) how often strangers will walk up to us when we're in the field and start talking about trains.

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on August 01, 2016, 04:13:25 PM
Quote from: Liep on August 01, 2016, 04:06:51 PM

You'll be doing that yourself soon enough.   ;)

But it is surprising (to me, at least) how often strangers will walk up to us when we're in the field and start talking about trains.

It's because trains are awesome like most aircraft, nearly all ships and 0.5% of cars.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

My trip was travelling through Europe pre Wall coming down.  I did a lot of hitchhiking and met a lot of great people.  One of the highlights was hitching a ride out of West Berlin back to West Germany.  Like PDH, I was too young at the time to truly appreciate the adventure I was having.

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on August 01, 2016, 12:33:46 PM
I've always wanted to walk the Canterbury trail. Additionally, I'd like to walk from London to Hadrian's Wall.

:cool:

I should do that, but I'm lazy.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Brazen

Quote from: merithyn on August 01, 2016, 12:33:46 PM
Additionally, I'd like to walk from London to Hadrian's Wall.
Along Hadrian's Wall maybe, but I can't imagine it's possible to find an entirely scenic route to get there. :hmm:

I'm holding out for a world cruise. Maybe with archaeological theme. Flying out to hard to access sites, of course.

I have absolutely no interest in doing it under my own steam, or even driving any distance. At least on a cruise I can do stuff or sleep for all the boring between sites stuff.