News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Now even Chinese cinema whitewashes movies

Started by Hamilcar, July 30, 2016, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on July 30, 2016, 12:38:35 PM
QuoteConstance Wu has a simple, direct response to the upcoming Matt Damon thriller The Great Wall: "We have to stop perpetuating the racist myth that only a white man can save the world."

Funny, considering it's that side of the planet full of yellow, brown and burnt sienna that are committing the most egregious acts of ecocide in destroying the world, from emissions to environmental destruction, to endangered species and the population bomb.  The white man is the only one that can save the world, because the rest of the world is a fucking shithole*.

Constance Wu can polish my mighty Age of Enlightenment knob in all her demure almond-eyed soccermom nose-hooked submissiveness. Right before I pee on her.  Squee. Mew.

*Most of Europe graciously not included in said fucking shithole.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on July 30, 2016, 11:18:41 AM
Movie looks good.  I'm not bothered by the race of the lead actor.  It is fiction anyway.  If they have to do it for commercial reasons, I understand.  That's something I can easily overlook.

In other news, they have picked a white actress for the lead role of the Ghost in the Shell live action movie.  So I guess this sort of thing is quite common.  Don't know what the big deal is.  The anime isn't entirely clear that the major is Japanese anyway.

Her name is the Japanese equivalent of an English woman named Jane Excalibur!

How the fuck is it not clear that she is Japanese?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 30, 2016, 07:09:54 PM
Movie looks good.  I'm not bothered by the race of the lead actor.  It is fiction anyway.  If they have to do it for commercial reasons, I understand.  That's something I can easily overlook.

In other news, they have picked a white actress for the lead role of the Ghost in the Shell live action movie.  So I guess this sort of thing is quite common.  Don't know what the big deal is.  The anime isn't entirely clear that the major is Japanese anyway.

So?  I can change my name to Peter Excalibur.  Doesn't make me English. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on July 30, 2016, 08:15:22 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 30, 2016, 07:09:54 PM

So?  I can change my name to Peter Excalibur.  Doesn't make me English.

Because you're a real person. Fictional characters are given a names that have meaning for a reason.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 30, 2016, 09:14:28 PM

Because you're a real person. Fictional characters are given a names that have meaning for a reason.

By this logic, the protagonist of Dragonball must be Chinese, as Goku is a Chinese name and is based on one of the most well known classic Chinese novels.  Yet it is clearly established in story that he is an alien :P

celedhring

My FB is aflame with people raging about this. It's stupid, accusing Zhang Yimou of whitewashing Chinese history is like accusing MLK of picking up a fight in a bar. Have people not seen the kind of movies this guy does? (rethorical) I'm damn sure having white guys at the center of the film is the entire point of the story he wants to tell.

The Minsky Moment

"Our heroes don't look like Matt Damon. They look like Malala. Ghandi. Mandela," she wrote.

China must be more ethnically diverse than I thought.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 01, 2016, 03:00:52 PM
"Our heroes don't look like Matt Damon. They look like Malala. Ghandi. Mandela," she wrote.

Indeed. Their heroes look like anyone BUT white guys, apparently.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jaron

This is so disappointing. They should have used a Chinese actor as the lead. They totally ruined this movie with a bad casting decision.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Given that Matt Damon is a communist, he may have been selected based on ideological credentials. :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on July 31, 2016, 07:44:55 AM
My FB is aflame with people raging about this. It's stupid, accusing Zhang Yimou of whitewashing Chinese history is like accusing MLK of picking up a fight in a bar. Have people not seen the kind of movies this guy does? (rethorical) I'm damn sure having white guys at the center of the film is the entire point of the story he wants to tell.
Yeah we need to see. So far it's not as if Damon is doing a Mickey Rooney which would be more problematic.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 01, 2016, 03:02:08 PM

I guess just the opposite of what white people think. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Isn't Matt Damon's whole acting career basically getting saved?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 02, 2016, 06:51:11 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 31, 2016, 07:44:55 AM
Yeah we need to see. So far it's not as if Damon is doing a Mickey Rooney which would be more problematic.

Most of his films are commentaries on current Chinese society and culture using Chinese past (real or mythic) and projecting it into the present and future. I'm sure that if he's chosen to cast Matt Damon, he has a pretty good reason to do so outside of the usual "we need white leads to make it sellable to western audiences" thinking.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on August 02, 2016, 07:51:42 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 01, 2016, 03:02:08 PM

I guess just the opposite of what white people think. :(

Indeed. All white people think the same, it is part of being white.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned