Main Menu

Now even Chinese cinema whitewashes movies

Started by Hamilcar, July 30, 2016, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

How do the Chinese "whitewash" a monster movie?

celedhring

Zhang Yimou is pretty close to the Chinese political establishment, so I'm pretty sure the film is "ideologically correct".

CountDeMoney

OK, but again, so what?  You guys do know it's a monster flick, right?  Or are we getting butthurt over some metaphorical use of monsters?

celedhring

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2016, 07:41:38 AM
OK, but again, so what?  You guys do know it's a monster flick, right?  Or are we getting butthurt over some metaphorical use of monsters?

Knowing Yimou, yeah, I'm pretty sure the story will be very allegorical of West vs East relations.

Film looks kickass anyhow.

CountDeMoney

Big fucking deal.  Nobody had any problem lapping up that big Japanese denial of why they we were bombed until they glowed called Godzilla, you know.

Now, Hollywood bending over and taking it up the ass for the sake of Chinese market share (Red Dawn, Iron Man 3) is way more offensive.  Shitbag sellouts.

Who gives a royal rat fuck about allegories over West versus East relations, little yellow rat bastard godless heathens have been doing that for years.

Personally, I prefer my Chinese cinema to be allegory-free.

viper37

Looks similar to Dragon Blade.  Crap East vs West movie with international actors.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

I doubt it will be crappy, at least not completely. Yimou shoots some really sweet action nowadays.

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on July 30, 2016, 07:44:05 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 30, 2016, 07:41:38 AM

Knowing Yimou, yeah, I'm pretty sure the story will be very allegorical of West vs East relations.

Film looks kickass anyhow.

So was invasion the body snatchers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Monoriu

Movie looks good.  I'm not bothered by the race of the lead actor.  It is fiction anyway.  If they have to do it for commercial reasons, I understand.  That's something I can easily overlook.

In other news, they have picked a white actress for the lead role of the Ghost in the Shell live action movie.  So I guess this sort of thing is quite common.  Don't know what the big deal is.  The anime isn't entirely clear that the major is Japanese anyway. 

Kleves

QuoteConstance Wu has a simple, direct response to the upcoming Matt Damon thriller The Great Wall: "We have to stop perpetuating the racist myth that only a white man can save the world."

The Taiwanese-American actress, known for her role as Jessica Huang on ABC's Fresh Off the Boat, took to Twitter to share her thoughts on the sci-fi co-production between Legendary Entertainment and Chinese companies Le Vision Pictues and China Film Group, which features Damon and Willem Dafoe joining a number of big name actors from Hong Kong, mainland China and Taiwan to battle an ancient Chinese monster.

"Our heroes don't look like Matt Damon. They look like Malala. Ghandi. Mandela," she wrote.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/constance-wu-on-the-great-wall-our-heroes-dont-look-like-matt-damon/ar-BBv2sHN?ocid=ASUDHP
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

grumbler

Quote from: Kleves on July 30, 2016, 12:38:35 PM
QuoteConstance Wu has a simple, direct response to the upcoming Matt Damon thriller The Great Wall: "We have to stop perpetuating the racist myth that only a white man can save the world."

The Taiwanese-American actress, known for her role as Jessica Huang on ABC's Fresh Off the Boat, took to Twitter to share her thoughts on the sci-fi co-production between Legendary Entertainment and Chinese companies Le Vision Pictues and China Film Group, which features Damon and Willem Dafoe joining a number of big name actors from Hong Kong, mainland China and Taiwan to battle an ancient Chinese monster.

"Our heroes don't look like Matt Damon. They look like Malala. Ghandi. Mandela," she wrote.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/constance-wu-on-the-great-wall-our-heroes-dont-look-like-matt-damon/ar-BBv2sHN?ocid=ASUDHP

She does have a point.  Her perpetuation of the myth that only white men can save the world really must stop.  Being a white supremacist has got to be damaging to her career.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!