News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why the Navy Needs Disruption Now

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, July 29, 2016, 05:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Why the Navy Needs Disruption Now (part 2 of 2)
Posted on July 29, 2016 by steveblank

The future is here it's just distributed unevenly – Silicon Valley view of tech adoption

The threat is here it's just distributed unevenly – A2/AD and the aircraft carrier

This is the second of a two-part post following my stay on the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson. Part 1 talked about what I saw and learned – the layout of a carrier, how the air crew operates and how the carrier functions in context of the other ships around it (the strike group.) But the biggest learning was the realization that disruption is not just happening to companies, it's also happening to the Navy. And that the Lean Innovation tools we've built to deal with disruption and create continuous innovation for large commercial organizations were equally relevant here.

This post offers a few days' worth of thinking about what I saw. (If you haven't, read part 1 first.)

Yes, it's a blog post.  No, I'm not copypastaing the whole thing here for you lazy gits.

I am curious what the resident squids think of this.  Personally, I think he is over-analyzing a highly-unlikely major war scenario when coming to his conclusions.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 29, 2016, 05:52:45 PM
Yes, it's a blog post.  No, I'm not copypastaing the whole thing here for you lazy gits.

Fair enough, but both links are to the "Part 1" despite the "Part 2 of 2" reference.  That's pretty lazy.

grumbler

Quote... new aircraft carrier's cost $11 billion

What of the new aircraft carrier costs $11 billion?  I hate mysteries in the middle of "news."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Okay, I read it, and, while I don't like all the buzzwords and koolspeak, I don't disagree with his basic premise.  However, I also don't think he went to the right place to find his "horizon 3" projects.  he won't find those in a carrier battle group; he'll find those at the Johns Hopkins APL and the basic R&D think tanks.  DARPA funds all kinds of projects that are what he calls "Horizon 3" endeavors.

Now, he is correct that the Navy's leadership (like the leadership of any big bureaucracy) is made up of people who demonstrated mastery of skills and knowledge that were last valuable a decade ago,  and so the Navy isn't as innovative as it could be (his point about drones for refueling is dead on, and that's an idea that could easily be implemented tomorrow if the Navy's aviation top brass wasn't so afraid to give up cockpits - how many people know that half the line officers in the Navy, and therefor half the admirals, are aviators?) 

I'm not sure how you get around that, given the inertia of the existing system.  The last innovative CNO was Mike Boorda, and he ended up shooting himself - probably.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2016, 09:44:59 PM
Okay, I read it, and, while I don't like all the buzzwords and koolspeak,

You mean like the Ideologism, "audio cacophony"?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Oh, and I'll say it again:  the DF-21 and DF-26 are the most overhyped weapons of the age.   They are NOT what will make carriers obsolete.  Subs with reliable long-range but fast wake-homing torpedoes will do that.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on July 30, 2016, 09:06:33 PM
Oh, and I'll say it again:  the DF-21 and DF-26 are the most overhyped weapons of the age.   They are NOT what will make carriers obsolete.  Subs with reliable long-range but fast wake-homing torpedoes will do that.

Wasn't it Admiral Thomas that told Congress last year he wasn't as worried about Chinese weapons systems that could make a hole in the top of the carrier as the systems that could make a hole in the bottom..?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2016, 09:13:40 PM
What of the new aircraft carrier costs $11 billion?  I hate mysteries in the middle of "news."

Well that guy probably didn't want to get into it, but if you're really wondering and not just pointing out his comment: EMALS and AAG are having problems and are costing more than expected.  I think it's going to be more than $11b at this point, too.  I'm not thinking these costs would necessarily carry over to the next ships like this dude seems to be implying though, since I'm reasonably sure that it's just due to the shit being so new.

E:  Actually, you might be the guy to ask about this:  Do you know if there is a way to just use the regular type of arresting gear and catapults if EMALS and AAG just end up not being able to do what they need them to do on this specific ship?  I know that's a helluva lot of equipment to be changing out, especially with the catapults.

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 30, 2016, 09:34:27 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 29, 2016, 09:13:40 PM

Well that guy probably didn't want to get into it, but if you're really wondering and not just pointing out his comment: EMALS and AAG are having problems and are costing more than expected.  I think it's going to be more than $11b at this point, too.  I'm not thinking these costs would necessarily carry over to the next ships like this dude seems to be implying though, since I'm reasonably sure that it's just due to the shit being so new.

E:  Actually, you might be the guy to ask about this:  Do you know if there is a way to just use the regular type of arresting gear and catapults if EMALS and AAG just end up not being able to do what they need them to do on this specific ship?  I know that's a helluva lot of equipment to be changing out, especially with the catapults.

AAG could be easily replaced, I think, with existing hydraulic hardware.  EMALS could not, but I think EMALS is installed and operational, so it isn't an issue except from a reliability standpoint (and that isn't launch reliability, but system communications reliability).

My comment was mocking the author's inability to distinguish between the plural s and the possessive s.  For a guy that loves to use complicated words, he sure doesn't know the simple rules of grammar.

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: grumbler on July 30, 2016, 10:35:57 PM
AAG could be easily replaced, I think, with existing hydraulic hardware.  EMALS could not, but I think EMALS is installed and operational, so it isn't an issue except from a reliability standpoint (and that isn't launch reliability, but system communications reliability).

My comment was mocking the author's inability to distinguish between the plural s and the possessive s.  For a guy that loves to use complicated words, he sure doesn't know the simple rules of grammar.

That's kinda what I figured.  Replacing EMALS seems like it would require tearing the ship apart. 

Siege

Oh pleez. Do you think anyone can take the pilots out of their planes and replace them with drones?
Of course not. Those are their toys. Our military is going to be disrupted sooner or later. It is the way it is.

Drones will beat airplanes, then nano weapons will beat drones,  then something else will beat the AI controlled nano armies of the future.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Minsky Moment

To what extent does the effective use of drones rely on an effective and functioning satellite network?
To what extent are they vulnerable to cyber attack?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

What if someone comes up with a manned drone? Would such a thing be unstoppable?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Brain on August 03, 2016, 11:10:34 AM
What if someone comes up with a manned drone? Would such a thing be unstoppable?

God help us all.