News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Drunken Clam

Started by jimmy olsen, July 02, 2009, 11:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I just heard on the radio an advertisement for a new bar and grill called the Drunken Clam. Obviously a rip off of the bar from Family Guy. Is that copyright infringement?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Depends. Is it a cartoon bar?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

And can PG Wodehouse sue for the blatant rip-off of "The Mottled Oyster"?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2009, 11:23:34 AM
I just heard on the radio an advertisement for a new bar and grill called the Drunken Clam. Obviously a rip off of the bar from Family Guy. Is that copyright infringement?
You've gotta be kidding me.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

ulmont

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2009, 11:23:34 AM

It wouldn't be copyright infringement.  A two-word phrase is not creative enough to qualify.

There might be claims the Family Guy owners could bring, but those would be much more tenuous IMO and based on the premise that patrons of the Drunken Clam would believe the Family Guy producers were involved or endorsing the bar in some way.

Warspite

Yes, they can. In fact, I'm sure the B2s are taking off from RAF Lakenheath right now to deliver hundreds of thousands of pounds of ordnance to fix this wrong.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

ulmont

There's one guy who does nothing but t-shirts based on fictional places or things, btw:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/magazine/18wwln-consumed-t.html
http://www.lastexittonowhere.com/

A "Camp Crystal Lake" t-shirt might be nice.

Josquius

I don't see why they would care even if they could have a case. Its free advertising.
██████
██████
██████