Democratic National Convention MEGATHREAD

Started by Admiral Yi, July 25, 2016, 06:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: dps on July 31, 2016, 10:29:44 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 29, 2016, 08:42:33 PM
So apparently Teump started receiving intel briefings today, and now he's mentioning American bases in Saudi Arabia when the U.S. has no such bases (at least officially)?

I would have never guessed that the fact that we have bases in Saudi Arabia was classified.  I've talked to a lot of Air Force guys who were based there at one time or the other, and I never realized that they were giving away secrets by telling us where they had served.
you're as guilty as Hillary.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

So apparently Teump started receiving intel briefings today, and now he's mentioning American bases in Saudi Arabia when the U.S. has no such bases (at least officially)?

I would have never guessed that the fact that we have bases in Saudi Arabia was classified.  I've talked to a lot of Air Force guys who were based there at one time or the other, and I never realized that they were giving away secrets by telling us where they had served.

Well, we have no bases in Saudi Arabia according to the DoD and State, so if your buds are claiming to have been based at a US base there since 2003, they are all either lying, confused, or are revealing classified info.

The Trump stuff is nonsense, of course; he hasn't yet received any briefings, and he makes up almost all of the "evidence" he presets to support his wacky ideas, so why would anyone think this claim had any credibility?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on July 31, 2016, 11:53:59 AM
why would anyone think this claim had any credibility?

Same people who think he will replace free trade with "great" trade and Mexico will pay to build the wall.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 31, 2016, 02:31:56 PM

Same people who think he will replace free trade with "great" trade and Mexico will pay to build the wall.

I don't know of anyone who actually believes either of those claims; even Trump's supporters acknowledge that those statements are just "Donald being Donald."

OTOH, I think that there are people who believe his statements that Cruz's father killed JFK, and that Obama was born in Kenya, because those are claims so outrageous that even Trump wouldn't make them unless they were true.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Well, we have no bases in Saudi Arabia according to the DoD and State, so if your buds are claiming to have been based at a US base there since 2003, they are all either lying, confused, or are revealing classified info.

Post 2003, hm.  No, the guys I'm talking about were there before that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on July 31, 2016, 02:38:30 PM

I don't know of anyone who actually believes either of those claims; even Trump's supporters acknowledge that those statements are just "Donald being Donald."

The fact you dont know anyone who believes it  speaks more about the group of people you know than anything.  ;)

One poll result suggest you should mix with your fellow Americans a bit more  :P

QuoteTrump supporters strongly believe in their candidates' ability to convince Mexico to pay for the cost.

http://politicalmachination.com/do-trump-supporters-really-think-mexico-will-pay-for-the-wall/

crazy canuck

Quote from: dps on July 31, 2016, 07:12:10 PM

Post 2003, hm.  No, the guys I'm talking about were there before that.

Not sure what the relevance of your comment then. Trump is talking out his ass about what is going on now  ;)

Razgovory

It is entirely possible that the US operates out of a Saudi base somewhere.  Spilling the beans about such an arrangement would be extremely unwise.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

I could see Yemeni drone strikes and drone recon being based out of Saudi.  Probably no secure sites left in Yemen.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 31, 2016, 07:36:39 PM
Trump is talking out his ass about what is going on now  ;)

I wish he would talk out of his ass.  It would be more edifying and less disgusting then what is coming out of his mouth.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grinning_Colossus

Apparently the plan is to basically extort the money from Mexico: The Trump administration will propose a regulation that would prevent undocumented aliens from wiring money outside of the United States--and then drop it on the condition that Mexico agrees to pay for the Wall.

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 31, 2016, 07:34:57 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 31, 2016, 02:38:30 PM

The fact you dont know anyone who believes it  speaks more about the group of people you know than anything.  ;)

One poll result suggest you should mix with your fellow Americans a bit more  :P

QuoteTrump supporters strongly believe in their candidates' ability to convince Mexico to pay for the cost.

http://politicalmachination.com/do-trump-supporters-really-think-mexico-will-pay-for-the-wall/

Actually, the results say that even Trump supporters mostly won't tell a pollster that they think Mexico will pay for the wall, so thanks for the evidence for my argument.  You might want to re-read your source, since it doesn't say what you want it to.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 31, 2016, 09:49:45 PM
I could see Yemeni drone strikes and drone recon being based out of Saudi.  Probably no secure sites left in Yemen.

Having some units based there and having bases that the US "pays rent for" are two different things.  Not that Trump likely understands the difference.  He probably thinks that paying rent is for chumps without access to bankruptcy courts.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 31, 2016, 11:42:44 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 31, 2016, 07:36:39 PM
Trump is talking out his ass about what is going on now  ;)

I wish he would talk out of his ass.  It would be more edifying and less disgusting then what is coming out of his mouth.

True

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 01, 2016, 02:59:54 AM
Apparently the plan is to basically extort the money from Mexico: The Trump administration will propose a regulation that would prevent undocumented aliens from wiring money outside of the United States--and then drop it on the condition that Mexico agrees to pay for the Wall.

Yes that is what his campaign has said.  impound remittances.  Unconstitutional, unenforceable and would threaten the credibility of the entire dollar-based payments system.  I.e. typical Trump.

The proposal was set forth in a memo the campaign sent earlier this year to the Washington Post after the Post pressed for details:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/apps/g/page/politics/memo-explains-how-donald-trump-plans-to-pay-for-border-wall/2007/

There is a reference to certain detailed regulations at 31 CFR 130.120-121.  Trump proposes an amendment to 31 CFR130.121.
There is no 31 CFR 130.120-121.  The entire Part 130 has been reserved
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson