News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

South Africa question

Started by Savonarola, July 22, 2016, 12:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

It looks like I may have an assignment in East London, South Africa.  Has anyone ever been to (or better still worked in) South Africa?  Is there anything you can tell me about local customs, culture, language, faux-pas to avoid or the like?

This should be a brief assignment, but (unlike Colombia) South Africa isn't considered a dangerous country by Alstom, so we'll be more on our own.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Hamilcar

Never been personally, but know lots of people who have been. Your experience will be ultra-local, and can range from wealthy, peaceful suburbia to third world warzone. Strong sense of personal safety is a must. I don't know anything specific about East London.

Savonarola

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 22, 2016, 12:45:38 PM
Never been personally, but know lots of people who have been. Your experience will be ultra-local, and can range from wealthy, peaceful suburbia to third world warzone. Strong sense of personal safety is a must. I don't know anything specific about East London.

Thanks, we'll be in a locomotive shop, so probably not wealthy suburbia.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Hamilcar

Quote from: Savonarola on July 22, 2016, 12:52:16 PM
Quote from: Hamilcar on July 22, 2016, 12:45:38 PM

Thanks, we'll be in a locomotive shop, so probably not wealthy suburbia.

Make sure you either have your own car, or company transportation. Kidnappings and robberies are very common, and so are carjackings.

Never resist, South African criminals are more likely to straight up kill you than Brazilian gangs. Colleague had his drink spiked and was left unconscious and naked in a ditch.

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on July 22, 2016, 12:43:15 PM
It looks like I may have an assignment in East London, South Africa.  Has anyone ever been to (or better still worked in) South Africa?  Is there anything you can tell me about local customs, culture, language, faux-pas to avoid or the like?

Stay away from the beaches and you'll be ok.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Why'd you change the picture?

Man that's a nice pooper.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 22, 2016, 01:24:30 PM
Why'd you change the picture?

Man that's a nice pooper.
The new one conveys a better sense of threat.  The other one might have been incitement to go to the beach ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Wrong continent.  The Shallows takes place in Mexico.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Archy

The Boers are also proud about their braai (bbq).
Afrikaans sound funny when you speak Dutch.
Most Afrikaans speakers are mixed race and not white.
If you're wife comes with you don't shoot at night through the badroom door unless you're an Olympic athlete.
They have eleven official languages.
They consider English soldiers and South Africans of British descent to be rednecks

Zanza

I've been in East London once for work. The city center looks very poor and I never stopped. The suburbs on the Eastern side of the city are really nice though. Some good dining to be had. The one I remember was the flamed water buffalo steak in Le Petit. I was also in an excellent steak place East of the city. Can't remember the name. Was owned by some sporting great.
The area has some nice spots if you have time. Tsintsa (?) beach about 30-40 minutes from town.
If you have a whole weekend, going to Coffee Bay and seeing the beautiful Wild Coast might be an option.

Zanza

And more general I've been to South Africa a few times for work and one time for tourism. It's a beautiful but very conflicted country. You have really fancy first world villas and shopping malls, but also abject poverty in slums. Just have your security in mind but also do not let it spoil your experience.

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on July 22, 2016, 04:30:43 PM
Wrong continent.  The Shallows takes place in Mexico.
damn :(  I thought I read South Africa when it came out.  Oh well, same shark anyway.

Savonarola

Quote from: Archy on July 23, 2016, 02:10:28 PM
If you're wife comes with you don't shoot at night through the badroom door unless you're an Olympic athlete.

All these rules, and they're confusing for a native of Detroit.   :(

;)

Thanks, Archy

Savonarola

Quote from: Zanza on July 24, 2016, 01:10:47 AM
I've been in East London once for work. The city center looks very poor and I never stopped. The suburbs on the Eastern side of the city are really nice though. Some good dining to be had. The one I remember was the flamed water buffalo steak in Le Petit. I was also in an excellent steak place East of the city. Can't remember the name. Was owned by some sporting great.
The area has some nice spots if you have time. Tsintsa (?) beach about 30-40 minutes from town.
If you have a whole weekend, going to Coffee Bay and seeing the beautiful Wild Coast might be an option.

Thanks.  We probably won't have the time to see the sites.  The team I'm going with is the same one I was with in Colombia; and they're die hard workaholics. 

Savonarola

Quote from: Zanza on July 24, 2016, 01:19:38 AM
And more general I've been to South Africa a few times for work and one time for tourism. It's a beautiful but very conflicted country. You have really fancy first world villas and shopping malls, but also abject poverty in slums. Just have your security in mind but also do not let it spoil your experience.

I'm surprised Alstom don't classify it as a dangerous country, based on what you and Hamilcar have said.  Colombia was classified as a dangerous country, and outside of the no-man's land in El Paso, it didn't seem that rough.