News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malthus was Right!

Started by alfred russel, July 02, 2009, 09:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2009, 09:34:28 AM
Topics like that make me think about the sustainability of the rapid technological progress during the last two centuries.  Is technological progress in a state of "punctuated equilibrium", where you have long-term stability interrupted by periods of rapid change, which means that progress will top out at some point and stall?  Or is it a self-reinforcing mechanism that once allowed to spool up will almost never slow down?

I think the speed of technological advancement will only speed up, until the point where the pressure of the much less advanced but much larger populations launch an other age of great invasions and the western world crumble under their weight, resulting in an other run of the Dark Ages.

Phillip V

Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2009, 01:17:37 AM

I think the speed of technological advancement will only speed up, until the point where the pressure of the much less advanced but much larger populations launch an other age of great invasions and the western world crumble under their weight, resulting in an other run of the Dark Ages.
You mean illegal immigrants?

Tamas

Quote from: Phillip V on July 03, 2009, 01:39:30 AM

They aren't that illegal in Europe.

Phillip V

Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2009, 01:46:37 AM

Don't you think "less advanced" people will advance enough that such worries about their overpopulation will go the way that such worries were for the West back in the day? Already, the contraction that the West faces will soon come to China.

Tamas

Quote from: Phillip V on July 03, 2009, 03:13:25 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2009, 01:46:37 AM

Don't you think "less advanced" people will advance enough that such worries about their overpopulation will go the way that such worries were for the West back in the day? Already, the contraction that the West faces will soon come to China.

Well, I think it will be like fall of the West Romans: first they accepted the barbarians as a -presumed- solution for their problems but it did not have the desired effect and contributed to the downfall when the invading hordes arrived.

Phillip V

Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2009, 03:15:59 AM
Well, I think it will be like fall of the West Romans: first they accepted the barbarians as a -presumed- solution for their problems but it did not have the desired effect and contributed to the downfall when the invading hordes arrived.
So kick out the Muslims, Hispanics, and Phillips?

Tamas

Quote from: Phillip V on July 03, 2009, 03:28:05 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2009, 03:15:59 AM
So kick out the Muslims, Hispanics, and Phillips?

No, it would not be fair, plus western europe needs them I heard, since the whites are not willing to handle trashy jobs.

Assimilation should be a conscious effort from the states however.

But at the end it wont matter much I am afraid. There is a huge inbalance in terms of population and production levels and like everything in the universe it will swing toward balance. It just won't be a pretty sight from where we stand.

Neil

Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2009, 03:31:42 AM
It just won't be a pretty sight from where we stand.
I, for one, look forward to the expression on Martinus' face.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quotesince the whites are not willing to handle trashy jobs.

Helots pick the crops. :yes:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive