News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tom Holland on Europe

Started by Sheilbh, July 18, 2016, 05:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Meritocracy is the worst possible system, except for all the alternatives.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

As for the OP I find the argument incoherent.  "More Christianity" will not help integrate Muslim immigrants into Europe. Baptism is an act of apostasy for Muslims which is why pre-modern European states never integrated Muslims without coercion (and in the Spanish case still rejected them after that).

We have a modern equivalent to baptism.  It is called citizenship.  If we are looking for an integrative model that can be applied to modern Europe it is not Otto's slaughter and conversion of Magyars or for that matter Charlemagne's brutal wars of cultural extirpation against Germanic pagans.  It is Rome and the extension of the attractive concept of civitas.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

I think we can all support the killing of Hungarians.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 21, 2016, 09:52:55 AM
We have a modern equivalent to baptism.  It is called citizenship.  If we are looking for an integrative model that can be applied to modern Europe it is not Otto's slaughter and conversion of Magyars or for that matter Charlemagne's brutal wars of cultural extirpation against Germanic pagans.  It is Rome and the extension of the attractive concept of civitas.

The question, of course, is "how do tell if the Muslims really have adopted the values inherent in European citizenship so that we only reward those willing to accept the values of their new societies."  If you are using naturalization as the rite of passage into European society, you need some means of excluding those who merely want the benefits of citizenship in exchange for going through the forms of adoption of values.  There has to be more than a token cost paid in exchange for that kind of citizenship.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 21, 2016, 09:54:18 AM

This is the first time I ever heard about the idea we wanted to settle in Germany before Lechfeld.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tamas on July 21, 2016, 10:04:13 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 21, 2016, 09:54:18 AM

This is the first time I ever heard about the idea we wanted to settle in Germany before Lechfeld.

Settle? Spread Sexually transmitted beets more like it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on July 21, 2016, 10:00:33 AM

The question, of course, is "how do tell if the Muslims really have adopted the values inherent in European citizenship so that we only reward those willing to accept the values of their new societies." 
easy, but you guys call it racism and intolerance.  So, just don't do anything different and it will be perfect :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on July 21, 2016, 12:43:38 PM

The question, of course, is "how do tell if the Muslims really have adopted the values inherent in European citizenship so that we only reward those willing to accept the values of their new societies." 
easy, but you guys call it racism and intolerance.  So, just don't do anything different and it will be perfect :)

Google's gibberish-to-English translation came out as still gibberish.  Wanna try to express yourself in English this time?  You know, using nouns and verbs and all of that?  "You guys" in my case aren't European and can't do anything about granting citizenship in European countries.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

The question, of course, is "how do tell if the Muslims really have adopted the values inherent in European citizenship so that we only reward those willing to accept the values of their new societies."  If you are using naturalization as the rite of passage into European society, you need some means of excluding those who merely want the benefits of citizenship in exchange for going through the forms of adoption of values.  There has to be more than a token cost paid in exchange for that kind of citizenship.

We can use the standards of the roman republic, and grant citizenship to only those that provide service to the state (usually military) and learn latin.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on July 21, 2016, 01:27:06 PM

We can use the standards of the roman republic, and grant citizenship to only those that provide service to the state (usually military) and learn latin.

What if I want to know more?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on July 21, 2016, 01:31:00 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 21, 2016, 01:27:06 PM

What if I want to know more?

Then you take that an adapt them into Ottoman laws...or so the event text told me in EU4.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

So, is your suggestion that Europe brings back the Inquisition, except this time, instead of torturing and executing those suspected of only pretending to be Christian, they target those only pretending to be secular?

grumbler

Quote from: dps on July 21, 2016, 02:27:21 PM

So, is your suggestion that Europe brings back the Inquisition, except this time, instead of torturing and executing those suspected of only pretending to be Christian, they target those only pretending to be secular?

I am asking a question.  Is the Inquisition your suggestion, or just a strawman?

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: dps on July 21, 2016, 02:27:21 PM

Will they be executing at a rate higher than 3.6 per year this time? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Guys, the Inquisition does get a hard time...
Let's bomb Russia!