News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coup attempt in Turkey

Started by Maladict, July 15, 2016, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malicious Intent

Just what the region needs at this moment...  :(

Even if the coup succeeds, I can not see this end well and peacefully, given Erdogans support from a significant part of the population. And if the coup fails, we may soon see a Turkish version of the Ermächtigungsgesetz.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see the AKP fall, but I had hoped for a democratic defeat.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2016, 03:59:50 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 15, 2016, 03:43:35 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 15, 2016, 03:41:54 PM
Looks like Languish may get what it wants.  Maybe a lot of people will die as well.

So right Raz this totally made my day. :rolleyes:

Made some people's day.

Well why don't you talk to them instead of lumping us all together for your own self-congratulatory bullshit?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

Just a thought, could NATO become involved in this somehow?

Valmy

Quote from: Malicious Intent on July 15, 2016, 04:01:43 PM
Just what the region needs at this moment...  :(

Even if the coup succeeds, I can not see this end well and peacefully, given Erdogans support from a significant part of the population. And if the coup fails, we may soon see a Turkish version of the Ermächtigungsgesetz.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see the AKP fall, but I had hoped for a democratic defeat.

Pretty much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Maladict

Quote from: Solmyr on July 15, 2016, 04:02:43 PM

It's external enemy only, isn't it?

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on July 15, 2016, 03:56:27 PM
I wonder, looking back in ten years, will 2016 be seen as a freak year when everyone entire bonkers, or a slow buildup to a chaotic and sad decade

shit's been going down for about a decade now given 2003, the colored revolutions in Ukraine, Lebanon, Georgia, Iran, the arab winter, now this...

Malthus

Quote from: Solmyr on July 15, 2016, 04:02:43 PM

No - I believe several countries (including Turkey) have had coups succeed while being NATO members - Turkey, Greece, Portugal.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Yeah pretty sure NATO getting involved in any way is not allowed.

Of course NATO would be stupid to do anyway.

Malthus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 15, 2016, 04:04:06 PM
Quote from: Tamas on July 15, 2016, 03:56:27 PM
I wonder, looking back in ten years, will 2016 be seen as a freak year when everyone entire bonkers, or a slow buildup to a chaotic and sad decade

shit's been going down for about a decade now given 2003, the colored revolutions in Ukraine, Lebanon, Georgia, Iran, the arab winter, now this...

By the previous century's standards, ours has been a century of sweetness, peace and light so far.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

OttoVonBismarck

I'm reading that the military has now occupied the JDP (Erdogan's party) offices and sent people home. Looks like whatever this is, it's big enough that it's spreading.

Malthus

The claim is that Erdoğan was indeed outside the country.

QuoteThe full Turkish military statement reads: "Turkish Armed Forces have completely taken over the administration of the country to reinstate constitutional order, human rights and freedoms, the rule of law and general security that was damaged.

"All international agreements are still valid. We hope that all of our good relationships with all countries will continue."

The Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is on holiday and outside the country. Reuters has quoted a source within his office as saying that he is safe.

Solmyr

I'm reading reports that he is either in Mongolia or in Bodrum (Turkish Aegean coast).

Also, if the airforce is along for the ride, it's can't be that small.

LaCroix

OttoVonBismarck

I can see maybe some of the logic in waiting until he's out of the country, you feel you can take control quickly and then just declare him persona non grata, the hope being he agrees to live out his life in exile.

The problem as  I see it, is I don't see Erdogan doing that. If this coup is successful he'll be a dangerous figure, if I were couping I'd want to take the President into custody as my first step.

Liep

#Turkey on Twitter is a worrying read right now.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk