Main Menu

Coup attempt in Turkey

Started by Maladict, July 15, 2016, 03:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: alfred russel on July 20, 2016, 11:40:29 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 20, 2016, 11:13:36 AM
Quote from: celedhring on July 20, 2016, 10:50:55 AM
Hasn't there been a public reconciliation with Russia? Erdogan and Putin seem birds of a feather so I'm sure they'd find a way to align their countries.

They are very similar, but that doesn't necessarily make them friends. Putin is among other things a Russian populist nationalist; and Russia has historic ambitions that conflict with those of Turkey.

It is true that Erdogan has been attempting to mend fences with Putin; they are supposed to meet in August. But then, Erdogan's been mending fences with other prior victims of his anger recently - he's even reached a rapport with Israel, as of last month.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.727369

My guess is that he was starting to feel a trifle friendless - he can't be feuding with everyone at the same time, so if he wants to start some new feuds, he has to end some old ones.

Yeah, there are some big hurdles to Turkey and Russia being allies. In addition to what you mention, and other things, anti Muslim sentiment is quite high in Russia, and support for Azerbaijan is very high in Turkey (with Russia strongly supporting Armenia). Russia strongly supports Assad, Turkey is strongly against the guy.

None of these are problems for Putin. In fact, lately Putin has been mending fences with Erdogan rather than the other way around. As I said, Turkey may become a security risk for NATO if Russia manages to get a connection with it.

alfred russel

Quote from: Solmyr on July 20, 2016, 04:59:40 PM

None of these are problems for Putin. In fact, lately Putin has been mending fences with Erdogan rather than the other way around. As I said, Turkey may become a security risk for NATO if Russia manages to get a connection with it.

Also lots of Turkish nutjobs with tenuous connections to Erdogan support the insurgency in the Caucasus and there is some pan Turkish sentiment as well that runs into conflict with Russian interests in Central Asia.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Hamilcar

Is the power at Incirlik still off? Is Erdogan pushing the US that far?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Hamilcar on July 20, 2016, 05:32:43 PM
Is the power at Incirlik still off? Is Erdogan pushing the US that far?

Combat operations resumed, so I assume power is on.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Solmyr

Some Iranian media are reporting that Erdogan may have been tipped off by Russian intelligence services about the coming coup.

Duque de Bragança

Austria summons Turkish ambassador over pro-Erdoğan demonstrations in Vienna

Austria has summoned Turkey's ambassador to explain Ankara's links to demonstrations in Austria in support of Turkey's president Tayyip Erdogan, who is leading a crackdown after a failed coup, Foreign Minister Sebastian Kurz on Thursday.

Kurz told ORF radio that the ambassador would be asked whether Turkish officials encouraged thousands of people in Austria to take to the streets over recent days in support of Erdogan after the attempt to unseat him.

"We want to clarify... which direction Turkey is going to take," Kurz said in an interview broadcast by ORF on Thursday.

"Secondly, we have evidence that the demonstrations for Erdogan that have taken place in Vienna were called for directly from Turkey... and that, of course, is absolutely untenable and we want to protest against that," he said.

Erdogan declared a state of emergency on Wednesday as he widened a crackdown against thousands of members of the security forces, judiciary, civil service and academia after the failed military coup.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-security-austria-idUSKCN1010GE

No spontaneous demonstrations. Everything organised from Turkey! Shock!

Savonarola

What does arresting 9,000 officers do to Turkey's military readiness?

The gates of Constantinople stand wide open; now is the time for the Greek to revenge the humiliation of the Treaty of Lausanne.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 21, 2016, 06:14:55 AM
Austria summons Turkish ambassador over pro-Erdoğan demonstrations in Vienna

Austria has summoned Turkey's ambassador to explain Ankara's links to demonstrations in Austria in support of Turkey's president Tayyip Erdogan, who is leading a crackdown after a failed coup, Foreign Minister Sebastian Kurz on Thursday.

Kurz told ORF radio that the ambassador would be asked whether Turkish officials encouraged thousands of people in Austria to take to the streets over recent days in support of Erdogan after the attempt to unseat him.

"We want to clarify... which direction Turkey is going to take," Kurz said in an interview broadcast by ORF on Thursday.

"Secondly, we have evidence that the demonstrations for Erdogan that have taken place in Vienna were called for directly from Turkey... and that, of course, is absolutely untenable and we want to protest against that," he said.

Erdogan declared a state of emergency on Wednesday as he widened a crackdown against thousands of members of the security forces, judiciary, civil service and academia after the failed military coup.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-security-austria-idUSKCN1010GE

No spontaneous demonstrations. Everything organised from Turkey! Shock!

I'd have been leery of allowing Turks into Vienna in the first place.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

About a dozen tv stations and newspapers have lost their permissions to air/publish due to their involvement in Guelist movement.

Erdogan really is not wasting any time is he?

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on July 21, 2016, 02:07:57 PM
About a dozen tv stations and newspapers have lost their permissions to air/publish due to their involvement in Guelist movement.

Weird. All of the Gulenist papers and TV stations were already shut down. I guess maybe these are the ones who once said that Gulen is not so bad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2016, 02:13:52 PM

Weird. All of the Gulenist papers and TV stations were already shut down. I guess maybe these are the ones who once said that Gulen is not so bad.

my guess is these are the ones that did things other than praising Erdogan and his magnificient manlihood.

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on July 21, 2016, 02:42:49 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 21, 2016, 02:13:52 PM

my guess is these are the ones that did things other than praising Erdogan and his magnificient manlihood.

Right now, I wouldn't want to be the guy who said Erdogan was like Gollum.  I think that is now definitely seen as a pledge of loyalty to Gulen.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Erdogan behaviour and diplomacy increasingly reminds me of an AI player from Civ5.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

citizen k

Razgovory

It's okay, it was a secular strafing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017