News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Base Borden Military Museum AAR

Started by Malthus, July 11, 2016, 10:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Yesterday the family packed up for a good old fashioned road trip through the farmlands of Southern Ontario to visit a site I'd heard about for years but have never seen: the Base Borden Military Museum. This is a museum located inside one of Canada's largest military bases.

http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/cg-pc/borden/EN/facilities/pages/bordenmilitarymuseum.aspx

Since there are lots of folks here who are interested in military matters, I thought I'd give a little account.

First, getting there was not all that easy - it's actually located on the base, not as I had thought just outside it. We approached the base from the south; we had to go through a military checkpoint to get in, with all sorts of signs promising violent anal probing etc. at the whim of the guards. As it was, they just waved us in without any probing. So far, so good.

After driving around the base a bit, we passed a canteen, a military barber shop, and a military bowling alley - Carl was asking where they kept the modern Tanks and Guns for the troops (I had to admit that I had no idea - but I pointed out that we now knew where they went for a haircut and for bowling. Carl's notions of the military life - shattered forever  ;) ) - finally we found the museum. You could tell you were getting close, because outside the museum were a lot of old military vehicles placed hither and yon - right outside the entrance was a Sherman tank. 

The museum was a large building with two giant rooms, and a bored guard sitting behind a desk in the middle. There was no admission charge, but you had to sign in - I noted that exactly eight people had visited that day, so they aren't exactly attracting huge crowds.

The exhibits were divided into two halves - roughly, one giant room had small stuff, and the other had vehicles and guns.  The good part was that there was enough stuff there to keep a military buff happy for hours, if not days. The bad part was that there was very little description or order to the exhibits - just cabinets of ecclecticly organized stuff, some with labels, some without. A looted bronze bust of Hitler shared a cabinet with someone's model of a tank and someone elses' manual of the Queen's Regulations, that sort of thing. In a way that was almost better - it was like a treasure hunt, you never knew what you could find.

There were many, many interesting things in the mix, as you looked through them: the stuff ranged from the War of 1812, through WW1 and 2 (a lot of WW2 stuff, probably the majority), through to the modern day. Lots of it was fairly mundane (metals for 10 years of KP from the early 1900s that sort of thing), but there were lots of oddities. Some of our favorites:

- A camouflage Tim Hortons hat, used by staff at a Tim Hortons opened for Canadian troops in Afghanistan (is there anything more Canadian than a weaponized Tim Hortons?  :lol: )

- Giant wooden spoons presented to logistics officers for meritorious service. Apparently this was a "thing". Examples range over a 100 year span.

- A banged-up Italian WW2 tank with lots of rivets (many missing). You could see that this vehicle had a rough time.

- An artillery piece with a "casket holder" on top of it, presumably for military funerals. Grim.

- A truck that contained a mobile dentist's office. Also grim. Though as my wife remarked, as painful as that office looked, it was better to have it available than not! 

- Someone had chipped out a piece of wall from Cyprus containing Communist propaganda slogans in Greek.

- A WW2-era propaganda poster warning people not to talk about military secrets, saying "the walls have ears". Pic was a cartoon of gossiping people having tea, with the wallpaper a design of Hitler faces.  :lol:

Overall, it was worth the drive - particularly as the farmland we drove through to get there was very scenic. Lots to see, and you won't be overwhelmed by the crowds while seeing it.  ;) Apparently there is also an aircraft hanger at the other end of the base containing all sorts of aircraft, but we were out of time - weekend hours are very short (I think it was 1-4 and that was it). 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Do they have the wallpaper in the gift shop?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

Sounds like a very Canadian military museum.... :P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on July 11, 2016, 01:51:55 PM

Heh, the thought of having a gift shop never occurred to them.  :D Nor, in fairness, the thought of charging admission.

Anyway, I found a copy of the poster online:

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O76701/dont-forget-that-walls-have-poster-fougasse/
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on July 11, 2016, 02:05:56 PM
Sounds like a very Canadian military museum.... :P

I ... can't dispute that.  :D

At least it wasn't Trenton. That base had a serial killer for a commander ... very un-Canadian.  :(

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on July 11, 2016, 02:14:30 PM
This thread calls out for pics.

I have a few, I'll post some when I have a chance.

Sadly, I did not get a good pic of the Tim Hortons hat.  :(

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on July 11, 2016, 02:17:31 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 11, 2016, 01:51:55 PM

Heh, the thought of having a gift shop never occurred to them.  :D Nor, in fairness, the thought of charging admission.

Anyway, I found a copy of the poster online:

http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O76701/dont-forget-that-walls-have-poster-fougasse/

Nice. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

It never cease to amaze me that people with zero interest in military service are so interested in memorabilia from the battlefields of wars long gone.

I find it creepy. I mean, this is what remains of the challenges of previous generations. They pay a price for their victory that we are seemingly not willing to pay.

Actually i think the west is committing mass suicide with all those smelly immigrants from failed civilizations. And yes, i mean moonslims. I blame it on the work the left has done the last 60 years, through their control of the mainstream media and the educational system. We are doomed. One day we shall read the books about pre islamic Europe and America. Back in the day before sharia law when women didn't cover their faces. Eeeew. How could people be so infidel.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on July 13, 2016, 07:26:18 PM
It never cease to amaze me that people with zero interest in military service are so interested in memorabilia from the battlefields of wars long gone.

I find it creepy. I mean, this is what remains of the challenges of previous generations. They pay a price for their victory that we are seemingly not willing to pay.

Actually i think the west is committing mass suicide with all those smelly immigrants from failed civilizations. And yes, i mean moonslims. I blame it on the work the left has done the last 60 years, through their control of the mainstream media and the educational system. We are doomed. One day we shall read the books about pre islamic Europe and America. Back in the day before sharia law when women didn't cover their faces. Eeeew. How could people be so infidel.

I don't really have much memorabilia but I think it is important to remember military history. Not only might it help us avoid future wars but fight them better when we do engage in them.

As for the Muslim thing: well maybe Euroland. The Muslims immigrants we are getting are trained professionals. Surely engineers, doctors, and scientists are not going to be too fanatical in forcing veils on the rest of us.

But frankly considering how things have gone over in the Middle East these days their morale is pretty low Siege. Hardly a self-confident group bent on conquest.

Though you are not going to respond to this post are you? DAMNIT SIEGE YOU FOOLED ME AGAIN.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Siege isn't getting my Luftwaffe dagger.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

What about his uncles lamp shade?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Great. My thread has attracted insects.  :(