Your Country's GDP /GNP, Are You A Brake Or Driver Of It?

Started by mongers, July 09, 2016, 08:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

I'm interested in how you see yourself in relation to your country's GDP or GNP, do you cumulative economic choices as a driver or or a brake on it's growth? 

Me, I've gotten pretty bad at keeping my end of the Faustian bargain, after housing costs and bills, I often really struggle to be bothered about being involved in the consumer society.  So I'm a definite brake.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

I don't understand.  My impression, which may be wrong, is that every dollar spent in the economy adds to GDP.  So everybody is a driver, the only difference is to what extent. 

Razgovory

When I was in school I used to throw away nickels to fight inflation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on July 09, 2016, 08:47:25 PM
I don't understand.  My impression, which may be wrong, is that every dollar spent in the economy adds to GDP.  So everybody is a driver, the only difference is to what extent.

I think he's asking how much discretionary consumer spending do you do.  How much stuff (or services, like luxurious overseas vacations) that you don't need do you buy.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2016, 11:53:49 PM

I think he's asking how much discretionary consumer spending do you do.  How much stuff (or services, like luxurious overseas vacations) that you don't need do you buy.

Or is he asking about the percentage of money that we spend?  Someone who lives below his means and puts a large chunk of his income into savings could be interpreted as a "drag" on the economy.

Zanza

DGuller

There aren't that many people that are a brake on GDP.  These kinds of people are either criminals, or part of parasitic professions (the ones that destroy $200k of value to earn $100k).

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on July 10, 2016, 08:48:19 AM
(the ones that destroy $200k of value to earn $100k).

Accountants are not overpaid that much are they  :(

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2016, 11:53:49 PM

Probably.  In those terms I don't spend much generally.  As my income increased I have not felt the need to surround myself with a lot of the status symbols that seem to be attractive to many of my peers.  So in that regard I am probably a drag on GDP (although my favourite BC Wineries, local restaurants, butcher, grocer etc might think otherwise  :D )

I spend a lot of time providing pro bono advice to a number of non profits.  That is also probably a drag on GDP since they don't have to otherwise purchase those services.  But it probably also saves the state and taxpayer a lot in the long run.  So I would like to think I am a net contributor to society aside from the taxes I pay.

MadImmortalMan

There aren't that many people that are a brake on GDP.  These kinds of people are either criminals, or part of parasitic professions (the ones that destroy $200k of value to earn $100k).

Even those can technically be a positive. Destroying something nobody needs that is valued at 200k in order to build something useful valued at 100k is not really a loss.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 10, 2016, 03:01:27 PM

Even those can technically be a positive. Destroying something nobody needs that is valued at 200k in order to build something useful valued at 100k is not really a loss.
If it's not needed, then it won't be valued at 200k.  Parasitic professions tend to abuse government power in one way or another, though sometimes it really is due to a massive bout of irrationality (people think the parasites are creating value when they are in reality destroying it).

alfred russel

So basically, people are drivers of their country's GDP, unless they are a member of the bar, or believe they may soon need a member of the bar to represent them in a criminal matter.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on July 10, 2016, 03:12:58 PM

So basically, people are drivers of their country's GDP, unless they are a member of the bar, or believe they may soon need a member of the bar to represent them in a criminal matter.
:lol: