News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

cameras - discussion and advice

Started by Richard Hakluyt, July 05, 2016, 09:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

My neighbor, also autistic, also does death marches. Everyday, no matter the weather.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 05, 2016, 12:00:00 PM
Coat pocket size  :thumbsup:

My youngest son (the autistic one) has turned 14 and the death marches that keep him fit get longer and longer. I think that adding some photography to the mix would make some of the silent walks more interesting for me. I was thinking of documenting our town and local area, gives the walks more purpose.

With a smart phone you could listen to music, or a podcast, or the news... and take pictures.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Pedrito

I strongly advice for a 4/3rds or slightly larger sensor.

I'm a bit out of touch with the recent developments, but I have a Fuji X-Pro 1 and it's an excellent camera.
It's a bit larger than mongers' one, but it sports a quaint optical viewfinder (completely useless, except for luddites), a nice and crisp back display (plus a very good digital viewfinder, given the right finder mode) and a very good range of lenses, both primes and zooms - the sensor is a 1,5X. It has a nice, solid metal body and all the bells and whistles of today's cameras.
The only drawback is, there is no built-in flash (but the very good high sensibility can partially compensate this), and the external ones are not very good.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Maladict

mongers

Quote from: Pedrito on July 05, 2016, 01:59:38 PM
I strongly advice for a 4/3rds or slightly larger sensor.

I'm a bit out of touch with the recent developments, but I have a Fuji X-Pro 1 and it's an excellent camera.
It's a bit larger than mongers' one, but it sports a quaint optical viewfinder (completely useless, except for luddites), a nice and crisp back display (plus a very good digital viewfinder, given the right finder mode) and a very good range of lenses, both primes and zooms - the sensor is a 1,5X. It has a nice, solid metal body and all the bells and whistles of today's cameras.
The only drawback is, there is no built-in flash (but the very good high sensibility can partially compensate this), and the external ones are not very good.

L.

That's a nice camera, pretty much tick all of the boxes for me, especially the Optical EV viewfinder.

But just a bit too big and heavy to carry around my neck/shoulders on long bike rides.

edit:
It or it's successors might stir the Cartier-Bresson in RH. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Pedrito

Quote from: Maladict on July 05, 2016, 02:03:38 PM
(completely useless, except for luddites)

:huh:
Maybe I wasn't clear: it's a rangefinder, like the ones in Leica manual cameras.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

mongers

Quote from: Pedrito on July 05, 2016, 02:59:29 PM

Maybe I wasn't clear: it's a rangefinder, like the ones in Leica manual cameras.

L.

So with the optical you get a bit of parallax, but in EVF mode that's corrected for?

Pedrito

Quote from: mongers on July 05, 2016, 03:01:49 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on July 05, 2016, 02:59:29 PM

L.

So with the optical you get a bit of parallax, but in EVF mode that's corrected for?
Yes. The viewfinder has two main modes:
a optical one, and not being a pentaprism it suffers from rangefinders' drawbacks - but superimposed you can have a whole lot of info, i.e. aperture, ISO, grid lines, speed, and even a histogram - I call it useless because either you know a function rather well hidden in the menu, or you'll always suffer from parallax error - and even with the correction mode turned on, for near distance shoots the rangefinder is not the way to go;
a purely digital one, and it replicates the view in the back display - this is the mode I almost always use.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

mongers

Quote from: Pedrito on July 05, 2016, 03:22:08 PM

Yes. The viewfinder has two main modes:
a optical one, and not being a pentaprism it suffers from rangefinders' drawbacks - but superimposed you can have a whole lot of info, i.e. aperture, ISO, grid lines, speed, and even a histogram - I call it useless because either you know a function rather well hidden in the menu, or you'll always suffer from parallax error - and even with the correction mode turned on, for near distance shoots the rangefinder is not the way to go;
a purely digital one, and it replicates the view in the back display - this is the mode I almost always use.

L.

Thanks for that, I like EV for the reasons you outlined but have a softspot for the whole rangefinder approach, controls and handling.

edit:
Cropped before Yi kills me.

Richard Hakluyt

I'm looking at this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Compact-System-Camera-Sensor/dp/B00XW6936Q/ref=sr_1_7?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1467751182&sr=1-7

It looks bigger than the one mongers recommended though, surprised they didn't hire a model with enormous hands  :D

Fairly sure it will take excellent pics, but there is a fair amount of compromise with size there I think  :hmm:

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 05, 2016, 03:45:21 PM
I'm looking at this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Compact-System-Camera-Sensor/dp/B00XW6936Q/ref=sr_1_7?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1467751182&sr=1-7

It looks bigger than the one mongers recommended though, surprised they didn't hire a model with enormous hands  :D

Fairly sure it will take excellent pics, but there is a fair amount of compromise with size there I think  :hmm:

Oh I'm sure it will, looks nice too, pretty much like a 8/10th scale model of a Pentax K1000 film camera.

How expensive and available are the non-kit lenses?

Heh, maybe I should hire out my mits for photographers of electronics?

Pedrito

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 05, 2016, 03:45:21 PM

I don't know about the body specifications, but it can use all the rather excellent lineup of Fuji lenses (the same I'm currently using on the X-Pro 1), and I cannot recommend them enough : thumbsup:
I'll try to post some pics taken with the X-Pro1 in the photography thread tonight.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Richard Hakluyt

Think I'll have a 24-hour cooling-off period, then I'll buy it  :cool:

Richard Hakluyt

Ordered. They'll probably go up by 10-20% once new stock has to be ordered from Japan  :contract:

Richard Hakluyt

It is a beautiful thing this new camera, a real wonder of technology to an old guy like me  :cool:

Now to learn how to use it. Since it arrived it has been more or less continual rain of course  :P