News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

cameras - discussion and advice

Started by Richard Hakluyt, July 05, 2016, 09:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

I am in need of a new camera. I already have a large bulky one that takes excellent pictures, but it is inconvenient for everyday use. My smaller compact camera has been lost by my wife.

What I want is something that is compact and portable, so I can take the pictures whenever and wherever; but, I'm also interested in getting decent quality. A quick look on the internet reveals that technology has greatly advanced since I last bought a camera. There are cameras with large sensors for example, that seem to offset the reduction in lens size that a compact necessarily has.

Anybody had any experience, good or bad, with a recent-ish compact camera purchase?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Richard Hakluyt

My research continues.

Mirrorless seems to be a straightforward advantage given what I'm looking for. Sensor sizes are all over the place but larger is better, you can get quite large sensors on smallish cameras. Optic size and quality is the same as it always was, you cannae change the laws of physics.

Barrister

Any reason you don't just use your phone as a camera?

I get having a large-ish DSLR in addition to a phone, but I don't think there's much need for a compact stand-alone camera these days.  Phone cameras are pretty darn good these days.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

My phone doesn't have a camera  :lol:

Anyway, there is no zoom on phone-cameras and quality is not high enough.

(To be fair I did think of getting a better phone, it would have the great virtue of being able to take the photos with very little fuss).

lustindarkness

Just make a pinhole camera with a shoebox. ;)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 05, 2016, 09:48:21 AM
My research continues.

Mirrorless seems to be a straightforward advantage given what I'm looking for. Sensor sizes are all over the place but larger is better, you can get quite large sensors on smallish cameras. Optic size and quality is the same as it always was, you cannae change the laws of physics.

Do you have optics you still want to use?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Richard Hakluyt

@GF - no, there is just a zoom on the DSLR which i will leave on that.

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 05, 2016, 09:59:49 AM
My phone doesn't have a camera  :lol:

Anyway, there is no zoom on phone-cameras and quality is not high enough.

(To be fair I did think of getting a better phone, it would have the great virtue of being able to take the photos with very little fuss).

How old is your phone that it doesn't have a phone? :lol:

dps

Barrister

Richard Hakluyt

Eerily it seems that Barrister may be right, I can't get it to work as a phone at the moment either  :)

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 05, 2016, 11:32:06 AM
Eerily it seems that Barrister may be right, I can't get it to work as a phone at the moment either  :)

Seriously though - just get a new phone (iPhone or Android).  The new ones have really good phones built in.  No, there is no optical zoom, but an optical zoom is no reason to carry around a whole separate device.

You still have your large camera when you want really good pictures.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 05, 2016, 09:00:40 AM
I am in need of a new camera. I already have a large bulky one that takes excellent pictures, but it is inconvenient for everyday use. My smaller compact camera has been lost by my wife.

What I want is something that is compact and portable, so I can take the pictures whenever and wherever; but, I'm also interested in getting decent quality. A quick look on the internet reveals that technology has greatly advanced since I last bought a camera. There are cameras with large sensors for example, that seem to offset the reduction in lens size that a compact necessarily has.

Anybody had any experience, good or bad, with a recent-ish compact camera purchase?

RH I was in a similar dilemma too you, have a DSLR with kit that's too big to carry and finding various compacts weren't hacking it for more than just representational snaps. Also don't like using a phone for taking pictures.

So I got a mirrorless compact system, by Nikon, really nice little camera which isn't too heavy and small enough to sit on the palm of one hand.

Straight out of the box it takes JPG that I like the look of, whilst still having RAW file route. Lots of fast shooting options and the movies it takes look rather good. Cheap too at about 250 quid.

And you have the option of picking from a good range of prime and zooms if you want to be more adventurous.

edit:
I just took a picture of it siting on my hand:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Coat pocket size  :thumbsup:

My youngest son (the autistic one) has turned 14 and the death marches that keep him fit get longer and longer. I think that adding some photography to the mix would make some of the silent walks more interesting for me. I was thinking of documenting our town and local area, gives the walks more purpose.