mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 04, 2016, 07:24:35 PM
I thought I was bored.

I was watching 'Tess', as scene were she has to whistle to the old lady's captive songbirds; I though there's not enough whistling goes on in this modern world, have people lost the knack?  :bowler:

Monoriu

No.  I have long concluded that I can't whistle.  I just don't know how to do it.  I tried a couple of times when I was a kid, but either I have no idea, or I am physically incapable of doing it.  Or both. 

Grey Fox

It's what, 2 am in England? Go to sleep, Mongers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Quote from: Monoriu on July 04, 2016, 07:34:18 PM
No.  I have long concluded that I can't whistle.  I just don't know how to do it.  I tried a couple of times when I was a kid, but either I have no idea, or I am physically incapable of doing it.  Or both.

Lauren Bacall had some advice on the subject:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MheNUWyROv8

:whistle:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

I do a mean theme song from The Good, the Bad, and Ugly.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 04, 2016, 08:39:37 PM
I do a mean theme song from The Good, the Bad, and Ugly.

:cool:

My whistling is thoroughly rustic in comparison and only strikes when the mood takes me.

CountDeMoney

I whistle greatest hits of the Carpenters until somebody finally says, "Wha...is that...'Close to You?' The fuck?"

Tonitrus

I can/do conventional whistling.

But I do envy my late grandpa, who could do that fingers-in-the-mouth-mega-decibel whistle that I never could seem to replicate.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 04, 2016, 10:55:57 PM
But I do envy my late grandpa, who could do that fingers-in-the-mouth-mega-decibel whistle that I never could seem to replicate.

Me neither, never could figure that one out. 

But I can crack gum like a sniper, though;  I can make Vietnam vets dive for cover with a shitty stick of Dentyne.

schaksen

Formerly known as Gumby, this was/is my pdx nick

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 04, 2016, 11:18:43 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on July 04, 2016, 10:55:57 PM

Me neither, never could figure that one out. 

Same here.

But regular whistling?  No problem.  I particularly like to whistle a happy tune when things are going poorly at work--I find it tends to piss my co-workers off, but they can't really complain to my superiors, because from their POV, I'm maintaining a positive attitude in the face of adversity.  This amuses me.