The Republican National Convention Megathread: Cleveland rocks!

Started by CountDeMoney, July 03, 2016, 05:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 03, 2016, 08:26:05 PM
A couple of cop friends may be sent to Cleveland for this bullshit.

Well, they are enroute. Nice to wait until the last minute to send them off.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 15, 2016, 09:00:55 AM

Horrible assignment with all the open carry enthusiasts and white pride types milling about.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 15, 2016, 10:01:23 AM
Horrible assignment with all the open carry enthusiasts and white pride types milling about.

Not really, considering how much easier that will make it for the cops in picking out just the blacks to shoot.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 15, 2016, 11:04:07 AM

Not really, considering how much easier that will make it for the cops in picking out just the blacks to shoot.

Yes but it will be hard for them to aim while dodging the cross-fire from the legions of second-rate citizen marksmen/vigilantes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 15, 2016, 11:04:07 AM

Dont hate Countdemalcom.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 15, 2016, 09:00:55 AM

0.5/10.

Try harder. I know you have the skill to troll better.

-professor Monc E. Butt PHD, COMSUBPAC

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

This is boring.  No Sarah Palin.

Ooooh, Corky Romano is on at 8!

Ed Anger

The local news interviewed the one guy they ran across open carrying. Dude's teeth were.....impressively British.

His AK looked like shit too.

CountDeMoney

Can't wait for Melania to do her Charo thing tonight.  Coochie Choochie Coochie, Cleve-A-Land!

jimmy olsen

Wish I was there, would be fun to see in person.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/never-trump-delegates-have-support-needed-to-force-rules-vote-225716

Chaos erupts on GOP convention floor after voice vote shuts down Never Trump forces

Anti-Trump delegates wanted a roll call vote on convention rules.

By Kyle Cheney
  | 07/18/16 02:46 PM EDT
  |  Updated 07/18/16 05:13 PM EDT

CLEVELAND — Chaos broke out at the Republican National Convention Monday after Republican leaders successfully blocked a recorded roll call vote on the convention rules.

Critics of Donald Trump had attempted to force a roll call vote by all 2,472 of the convention delegates on the proposed rules, which were written last week by a convention committee..

The groups objected to the proposed rules because they require pledged delegates to vote in accordance with the results of their state's primaries and caucuses — a structure that virtually guarantees Trump will claim the party's presidential nomination.

Delegates protest on the floor on the first day of the Republican National Convention on July 18 at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio. 

The "never Trump" movement delegates believed they had the signatures they needed to force the recorded vote. Earlier Monday, they'd submitted to the convention secretary what they said were signatures from a majority of delegates from 9 different states or territories: Colorado, Washington state, Utah, Minnesota, Wyoming, Maine, Iowa, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Majorities from 7 states or territories were thought to be enough to force the roll-call vote. But after a voice vote on the convention rules, the presiding official — Rep. Steve Womack — declared the rules approved and attempted to move on.

Chaos erupted on the convention floor, with Trump critics screaming for a recorded vote while Trump supporters chanted "U-S-A" and pro-Trump slogans. Womack left the stage.

Moments later, he returned to call for a second voice vote, after which he again declared the 'ayes' had won and the rules had been approved.

Womack then said that three states had withdrawn their support for the roll call vote, leaving the Trump critics short of the signatures they needed to force the vote. The convention then moved on to approve the party's official platform.

An operative with knowledge of the RNC leadership said they got delegates to withdraw their signatures, saying several delegates had told them that they hadn't understood what they were signing onto.

The anti-Trump delegates had ultimately hoped to get a new set of rules that would "unbind" the delegates, allowing them to vote for whomever they wanted even if they were pledged to him based on the results of their state's primary or caucus rules.

They appeared unlikely to win the roll call vote, but it would have provided a high-profile platform for Trump's critics to display the party's ongoing split over its likely nominee.

Critics blasted the moves to block the roll call vote, and promised to keep fighting.

"You will see more insurgency, because, and I have nothing to do with the fact that people now know that their voices were squelched," said Colorado delegate Kendal Unruh, the founder of the Free the Delegates movement, in a live interview on C-SPAN where she accused party leadership of using "strong-armed tactics."

Unruh continued, "I mean, this is just part of what you don't want to do in a fair process, is you don't want to make sure you use every scenario in order to quell dissent. And I mean, we don't live in a dictatorship, we don't live in a banana republic."

"I have never in all my life, certainly in six years in the United States Senate, prior to that as a lifelong Republican, never seen anything like this," said Utah Sen. Mike Lee, one of the most prominent signatories to the push for a roll call vote. "There is no precedent for this in parliamentary procedure. There is no precedent for this in the rules of the Republicn National Convention. We are now in uncharted territory. Somebody owes us an explanation. I have never seen the chair abandoned like that. They vacated the stage entirely."

Trump Campaign Chairman Paul Manafort talks to reporters on the floor of the Republican National Convention at Quicken Loans Arena, Sunday, July 17, in Cleveland.

"It's coercion masking as unity," Lee said later.

"It may well be the case there were only 9 states that submitted the petition... if that's the case, then it appears we did not satisfy the threshold," Lee continued. "What we were told is there were 10, then 11 states that had in fact signed the petition so that is inconsistent with what we were told by the chair just moments ago, that there were 9."

The Trump campaign and party leaders strongly opposed holding the vote, hoping to present party unity at the convention.

Trump critics had been more bullish earlier Monday: "It's a testament to the strength of this movement," said Dane Waters, an operative with Delegates Unbound, a group supporting the anti-Trump effort.

The group said former New Hampshire Sen. Gordon Humphrey had submitted the signatures to the convention secretary — an exchange that followed after a frantic search to find the secretary before the deadline to submit the signatures. At the time, Never Trump leaders raised concerns that the secretary, Susie Hudson of Vermont, might intentionally avoid them to ensure the effort was defeated.

Not everyone demanding a roll call vote was a Trump critic.

The movement appears to have been the benefit of a furious backlash by conservative delegates against the Trump campaign and GOP leadership.

The activists saw their proposals — many of which were intended to push the party to the right — to reform the party's rules squashed last week by a relentless Trump campaign and Republican National Committee combined effort to fend off significant changes. Virginia delegates Morton Blackwell and Ken Cuccinelli, conservative leaders who had opposed efforts to stymie Trump, joined the effort to help overturn the rules.

Rachael Bade and Nick Gass contributed reporting.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 18, 2016, 06:40:47 PM
The local news interviewed the one guy they ran across open carrying. Dude's teeth were.....impressively British.

His AK looked like shit too.

If your going to own it, maintain it.  :mad: That fucking poser.

PS; This stupid inbred shit?

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Don't goof.  Those are your people, man. That's who's going to Make America Great Again.  #Duelingbanjos