Zika, drugs, and medals: The Rio Olympics thread

Started by celedhring, July 02, 2016, 04:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I have this fear of traveling abroad and getting kidnapped for ransom so prefer to go to places where I could at least feasibly be mistaken for a local. Fortunately Brazil fits this profile.

When I was in France I always made sure I dressed like I was a Frenchman. This also had the fun side effect that people kept talking to me on the streets and asking me for directions. If it was a foreigner I would play along, French people would pick up I wasn't from there pretty fast. For some reason Americans would presume I couldn't speak English. 'Don't speak to him in English Maude those Frogs hate that shit'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2016, 08:32:12 AM
I have this fear of traveling abroad and getting kidnapped for ransom so prefer to go to places where I could at least feasibly be mistaken for a local. Fortunately Brazil fits this profile.

When I was in France I always made sure I dressed like I was a Frenchman. This also had the fun side effect that people kept talking to me on the streets and asking me for directions. If it was a foreigner I would play along, French people would pick up I wasn't from there pretty fast. For some reason Americans would presume I couldn't speak English. 'Don't speak to him in English Maude those Frogs hate that shit'

I am a terrible tourist. I make no effort to blend in, but sometimes without any effort I do.    :hmm:

Back in my more irresponsible days, before I gave up alcohol, I was in Italy, and got hammered. My buddy had even more to drink and got taken to the hospital with alcohol poisoning. I was making a scene in the hospital so they threw me out. I left the hospital, still hammered, not wanting to call it a day, so I just wandered around. I saw a cute girl in front of her apartment, so I went to talk to her. I speak less than 5 words in Italian, so I just spoke english. She started, "Oh, so you want to speak english? Okay," and we had a conversation. After 10 minutes of talking, I asked a question about Italy. She was like, "wait you aren't italian? I thought you were italian and just wanted to speak english for practice." 

Probably not the smartest young lady. Cute though.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2016, 08:21:12 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 19, 2016, 08:03:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2016, 07:43:43 AM
My takeaway from this Olympics is that I don't think I'm like to visit Brazil of my own volition (which I kind of already knew). I was sad yesterday though when I looked at the 10 most populous countries and thought that Japan is the only country (outside my home country) that I'd likely ever visit on personal choice.

You wouldn't visit China? Lots of greats stuff to see and experience there, and I don't get the feeling it's particularly dangerous or inconvenient for foreigners. I might be wrong.

No. Perhaps if they had a different gov't, I might consider it but I don't think I'd feel all that great visiting China.

So it's a philosophical/ political kind of thing?

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on August 19, 2016, 07:59:44 AM
I'm going to go against the grain here, and say that Brazilian reaction to the made up robbery is perfectly understandable.  That was a pretty damaging piece of lie for them, and who knows how much economic damage was done by all those safety precautions instituted in the wake of someone really famous having a gun "cocked" against his head?

BTW, is it just me, or did the whole thing reek of BS when Lochte talked about the gun being cocked?  Do guns ever get cocked in real life in such situations?  I imagine fake Brazilian police officers don't walk around with single action revolvers.

You can cock self-loading pistols.  When you pull back on the slide, it loads a round in the chamber and cocks the hammer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 19, 2016, 09:49:48 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2016, 08:21:12 AM
Quote from: celedhring on August 19, 2016, 08:03:58 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2016, 07:43:43 AM
My takeaway from this Olympics is that I don't think I'm like to visit Brazil of my own volition (which I kind of already knew). I was sad yesterday though when I looked at the 10 most populous countries and thought that Japan is the only country (outside my home country) that I'd likely ever visit on personal choice.

You wouldn't visit China? Lots of greats stuff to see and experience there, and I don't get the feeling it's particularly dangerous or inconvenient for foreigners. I might be wrong.

No. Perhaps if they had a different gov't, I might consider it but I don't think I'd feel all that great visiting China.

So it's a philosophical/ political kind of thing?

Yes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 19, 2016, 08:19:52 AM
I'm going to go against the grain here, and say that Brazilian reaction to the made up robbery is perfectly understandable.  That was a pretty damaging piece of lie for them, and who knows how much economic damage was done by all those safety precautions instituted in the wake of someone really famous having a gun "cocked" against his head?
Yep. I agree. I think it's entirely understandable that they would have investigated it despite no-one officially reporting the crime. And as I say I imagine Brazilian police were not delicate in poorer neighbourhoods looking for thieves who've just disrupted the biggest show on earth and caused a lot of embarrassment. .

grumbler's right though - it's one thing to purse the investigation intensively, but pulling people off of airplanes for allegedly failing to make a police report of a non-existent occurrence was ridiculous. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2016, 09:58:01 AM

BTW, is it just me, or did the whole thing reek of BS when Lochte talked about the gun being cocked?  Do guns ever get cocked in real life in such situations?  I imagine fake Brazilian police officers don't walk around with single action revolvers.

You can cock self-loading pistols.  When you pull back on the slide, it loads a round in the chamber and cocks the hammer.

Cal can't cock his weapon, since parts are missing.

MAH SLIDE
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 19, 2016, 08:19:52 AM
Yep. I agree. I think it's entirely understandable that they would have investigated it despite no-one officially reporting the crime. And as I say I imagine Brazilian police were not delicate in poorer neighbourhoods looking for thieves who've just disrupted the biggest show on earth and caused a lot of embarrassment.

I disagree.  If the Brazilian police were thugs in poor neighborhoods, they were thugs.  No great surprise, but their thuggishness wasn't caused by the lack of candor or intelligence on the part of Lochte and company (who were, it turns out, robbed at gunpoint, but not the way they said they were robbed at gunpoint).  And, of course, the police have taken no such high-profile action in the case of the Australian swimmer who was, while the police were busily investigating the non-reported non-crime, robbed at gunpoint:lol:

Crime + nobody famous = inaction
Non-crime + somebody famous = all-out effort.

Pretty pathetic, and I don't know why everyone is letting the Brazilian authorities off the hook  The $10,000 ransom they are "negotiating" for the US swimmer doesn't seem to bother people much.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 19, 2016, 10:13:57 AM
grumbler's right though - it's one thing to purse the investigation intensively, but pulling people off of airplanes for allegedly failing to make a police report of a non-existent occurrence was ridiculous. 

We're seeing now that they pulled the swimmers off the plane so that they could collect ransoms for them.  I wonder if any of that money will ever make it into the state coffers?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on August 19, 2016, 11:19:00 AM
The $10,000 ransom they are "negotiating" for the US swimmer doesn't seem to bother people much.

Well it bothered me!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

It certainly bothers me, I can't imagine how that can be justified.

On the other hand, I am not at all surpised at their over-reaction.

Claiming not just that you were robbed, but you were robbed by people pretending to be law enforcement officers, is a pretty direct attack on the integrity of the country. Now, it works because that integrity is pretty questionably to begin with, but I am not at all surprised at how sensitive they would be to what turns out to be a false accusation.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 19, 2016, 11:26:41 AM
It certainly bothers me, I can't imagine how that can be justified.

On the other hand, I am not at all surpised at their over-reaction.

Claiming not just that you were robbed, but you were robbed by people pretending to be law enforcement officers, is a pretty direct attack on the integrity of the country. Now, it works because that integrity is pretty questionably to begin with, but I am not at all surprised at how sensitive they would be to what turns out to be a false accusation.

Yeah agreed on no surprise. Ultimately no one comes away looking good - with Brazil looking bad not because of the smear but because of the over reaction + extortion.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2016, 09:58:01 AM

Do people in Brazil really walk around with rounds unchambered?  Seems like a fatal mistake to me.

alfred russel

So some american swimmers, and Ryan Lochte in particular, are dumbasses prone to drink too much and stay out to late. And Brazilian authorities can be a bit heavy handed with a touch of banana republic flair to them.

Not seeing a significant news story in any of this.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on August 19, 2016, 11:26:41 AM
Claiming not just that you were robbed, but you were robbed by people pretending to be law enforcement officers, is a pretty direct attack on the integrity of the country.

And now real law enforcement officers got $10K out of them.  :D

'See what happens when you falsely claim to have been robbed by officials?'
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius