News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Right-wing vs Islamicist Lone Wolf Terrorists

Started by Jacob, June 22, 2016, 12:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Interesting comparison: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/22/rightwing-lone-wolves-islamist-extremists-report-thinktank-rusi?CMP=share_btn_fb

QuoteRightwing extremists kill and injure more people in lone wolf attacks than Islamist terrorists acting alone, according to a report by a security thinktank.

The Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) in London says in its report Countering Lone Actor Terrorism that rightwing extremists across Europe present a substantial threat to the public that should not be overlooked.

It details the cases of 94 people who were killed and 260 who were injured in attacks by far-right terrorists acting on their own between the start of 2000 and the end of 2014.

In contrast, religiously inspired lone attacks killed 16 and injured 65 people.

The report, which is released in updated form on Wednesday, says: "Rightwing extremists represent a substantial aspect of the lone actor threat and must not be overlooked."

It says that lone wolf extremists have been responsible for 98 plots and 72 attacks in 30 European countries including Norway and Switzerland in the period examined.

Security services say the lone wolf terrorist attack is one of the most difficult to detect and preempt. The RUSI report is the result of detailed examination of terrorist plots and attacks across Europe and is being constantly updated.

"Lone actor terrorists are perceived as presenting acute challenges for law enforcement practitioners in detection and disruption," the report says. "By definition, they act without direct command and control from a wider network, and it is assumed that without such communications they may evade the 'tripwires' that would usually bring them to the attention of the authorities."

It also states that lone wolf rightwing extremists are harder to detect than religiously inspired Islamist terrorists.

"It was established that 40% of rightwing extremists were uncovered by an element of chance, as part of an investigation into other offences or because the perpetrator accidentally detonated a device, drawing attention to his or her activities. Although chance was also evident in some examples of religiously inspired terrorism, overall 88% of interventions were intelligence-led, suggesting a clear disparity," the report says.

RUSI also found that rightwing extremists were far less likely to talk about their activities, and were often discovered only after detonating a device or killing an individual. Islamist extremists, however, in 45% of cases talked about their inspiration and possible actions with family and friends.

"In contrast, only 18% of leakage by rightwing extremists was to this audience," the report says.

Rightwingers are also found to be more likely to be socially isolated or suffer mental health problems than other lone wolf terrorists and more likely to "post telling indicators" on the internet.

Obviously, it doesn't cover organized multiple actor attacks - but it's interesting to compare.

Full article here: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/22/rightwing-lone-wolves-islamist-extremists-report-thinktank-rusi?CMP=share_btn_fb

Valmy

Well there are a lot more Right-wing nutcases over here than Islamists. If you go to the Islamists home turf then they rack up kill scores in the tens of thousands.

With the two recent mass shootings by nutty Islamists though...eh they seem kind of similar people to me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

QuoteIt also states that lone wolf rightwing extremists are harder to detect than religiously inspired Islamist terrorists.

That sounds kind of racist.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on June 22, 2016, 12:27:21 PM
Well there are a lot more Right-wing nutcases over here than Islamists. If you go to the Islamists home turf then they rack up kill scores in the tens of thousands.

How many lone wolves are there in the ME?

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on June 22, 2016, 12:28:38 PM
How many lone wolves are there in the ME?

True. Difficult to say. Probably quite a few in places where the security forces are after them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Martinus

10 countries in the world penalise homosexuality with death. All of them are Muslim.

No Christian nation does that. Neither the Pope nor the Archbishop of Canterbury has ever said that gays should be put to death.

So when a Muslim kills gays it is consistent with what seems like a widely shared belief. When a Christian does that, it isn't.

But continue your cucking, Jake.

You should know better - Jacob

Admiral Yi

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 22, 2016, 02:22:55 PM
What's interesting about it Jacob?

Failing to know statistics?

Assuming 1-5% of populace in most Western nations is Muslim, whereas around 50% is right wing, the fact that Muslims commit almost as many acts of terror as right wingers is a more interesting stat.

Valmy

Left Wingers are better at not being terrorists these days. Which considering their history is a pretty sad decline.

Jacob

In general I find facts and studies from I believe to be fairly unbiased sources on the subject interesting, given the generally highly charged ideological shouting matches that usually occur. As well, I find the comparison and contrast of the two most common vectors of terrorist attacks that we seem to be facing interesting as well, both to look for commonalities and differences. In this particular case, I found the higher rates of sharing their plans with their community amongst Islamicist potential terrorists to have interesting implications for prevention; I also think it speaks to the somewhat different natures of the threats.

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on June 22, 2016, 02:39:59 PM

In general I find facts and studies from I believe to be fairly unbiased sources on the subject interesting, given the generally highly charged ideological shouting matches that usually occur. As well, I find the comparison and contrast of the two most common vectors of terrorist attacks that we seem to be facing interesting as well, both to look for commonalities and differences. In this particular case, I found the higher rates of sharing their plans with their community amongst Islamicist potential terrorists to have interesting implications for prevention; I also think it speaks to the somewhat different natures of the threats.

Yeah now that you mention it the two recent Islamic shootings had the assistance and complicity of the spouses at least. The right wingers tend to be lone nutters, the types I have long argued need to be carefully watched by law enforcement.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on June 22, 2016, 02:39:59 PM

Good answer Jacob. :thumbsup: