Amazon jaguar shot dead after Olympic torch ceremony

Started by Martinus, June 22, 2016, 01:15:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteA jaguar featured at an Olympic torch ceremony was shot dead by a soldier shortly after the event in the Brazilian Amazon city of Manaus as the animal escaped from its handlers, an army statement said.

The jaguar was killed on Monday at a zoo attached to a military training center where the Olympic torch ceremony was held. A soldier fired a single pistol shot when the escaped animal, despite being tranquilized, approached the soldier, the army said.

"We made a mistake in permitting the Olympic torch, a symbol of peace and unity, to be exhibited alongside a chained wild animal. This image goes against our beliefs and our values," the local organizing committee Rio 2016 said in a statement.

We guarantee that there will be no more such incidents at Rio 2016," the committee added.

A cartoon smiling yellow jaguar known as Ginga is the mascot of the Brazilian Olympic team.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-jaguar-idUSKCN0Z72P4

Fucking morons.

Valmy

:(
RIP Jaguar

Kind of a bad symbology shooting this hemisphere's most famous and sacred animal while preparing for these games there Brazil.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Something just isn't right about the games this time. ISIS will probably do something or other.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: 11B4V on June 22, 2016, 08:35:11 AM
Something just isn't right about the games this time. ISIS will probably do something or other.
ISIS is probably planning its most devious act yet:  just leaving the Brazilians and IOC to their own devices.

garbon

How do we know it wasn't ISIS that helped the jaguar escape?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 22, 2016, 08:35:11 AM

Of course something's not right about these games:  they're being held in a third world country. 

dps

Quote from: garbon on June 22, 2016, 08:51:17 AM
How do we know it wasn't ISIS that helped the jaguar escape?

'Cause it's not in their nature to be helpful to anyone, even an animal.  They would have probably beheaded it if they'd been involved.

Admiral Yi