So why are "liberals" cheering eliminating statute of limitations for rape?

Started by Martinus, June 22, 2016, 12:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Ok, could someone explain this one to me? Several so-called liberals and liberal sites have posted articles cheering on (I think) California for proposing to eliminate statute of limitations for rape.

Isn't the liberal position that there should be statute of limitations for crimes, because it is counterproductive and inhumane to penalise people for crimes they committed, say, 30 or 40 years ago? I thought that it has been widely accepted in modern societies that the only exceptions to this rule are crimes against humanity and war crimes.

:huh:

Zanza

Your thoughts of what is widely accepted elsewhere are often wrong. Is that enough explanation?

Habbaku

:unsure:  Is that really the argument for having a statute of limitations on rape?

I am sure I could be convinced otherwise by a compelling argument, but I don't currently see a reason to have a statute of limitations on something like rape.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on June 22, 2016, 12:13:16 AM
Your thoughts of what is widely accepted elsewhere are often wrong. Is that enough explanation?

At least German people seem to agree with me. These are the rules from the German penal code:

Quote(2) Serious criminal offenses under Section 220a (genocide) and Section 211 (murder) are not subject to a statute of limitations.

(3) To the extent that prosecution is subject to a statute of limitations, the period of limitation shall be:

1. thirty years in the case of acts punishable by imprisonment for life;

2. twenty years in the case of acts punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of more than ten years;

3. ten years in the case of acts punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of more than five years but not more than 10 years;

4. five years in the case of acts punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of more than one year but not more than five years;

5. three years in the case of other acts.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2016, 12:05:19 AM
I thought that it has been widely accepted in modern societies that the only exceptions to this rule are crimes against humanity and war crimes.

There is no statute of limitations on any serious (i.e. indictable) offence in Canada, including sexual assault.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on June 22, 2016, 12:19:08 AM
I thought that it has been widely accepted in modern societies that the only exceptions to this rule are crimes against humanity and war crimes.

There is no statute of limitations on any serious (i.e. indictable) offence in Canada, including sexual assault.

Wow, Canada is more of a totalitarian hellhole than I thought.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2016, 12:19:55 AM

Surprise, surprise, Marty doesn't think rape is a serious offense.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

It takes a long time to build a case against those tricksy Muslim rapists.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on June 22, 2016, 12:29:18 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2016, 12:19:55 AM

Surprise, surprise, Marty doesn't think rape is a serious offense.

Unless it was a Muslim perp.

Anyway, this is actually a new low for him.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Yep. No statute of limitations on rape or other serious sexual crimes in the UK. Hence some of the recent prosecutions for historic sexual abuse.

I don't see why there should be either.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

The statute of limitations for rape in Spain is 12 years, although the clock doesn't start until the victim is a legal adult, if he/she was a minor.

Personally I think it's awfully low. In general our statuses of limitations are way too short for most offences, and I am hardly a "lock them up and throw away the key" tough on crime posturer.

celedhring

Quote from: celedhring on June 22, 2016, 02:23:05 AM
The statute of limitations for rape in Spain is 12 years, although the clock doesn't start until the victim is a legal adult, if he/she was a minor.

Personally I think it's awfully low. In general our statuses of limitations are way too short for most offences, and I am hardly a "lock them up and throw away the key" tough on crime poser.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on June 22, 2016, 02:23:05 AM

Personally I think it's awfully low. In general our statuses of limitations are way too short for most offences, and I am hardly a "lock them up and throw away the key" tough on crime posturer.

I do think it should be between 20 and 30 years but I don't think ti shouldn't exist. Generally, the German system that I quoted above seems to be similar to what my expectation would be (I am surprised, though, that there is no statute of limitation for murder - I am wondering, though, what crimes, other than genocide and murder, carry the life imprisonment penalty in Germany).

celedhring

Murder has 20 in Spain. Genocide and terrorism don't prescribe.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on June 22, 2016, 02:39:21 AM
Murder has 20 in Spain. Genocide and terrorism don't prescribe.

Yeah I know but the German code I quoted says that genocide and murder are excluded and then says that for other crimes carrying the life sentence, it's 30 years. So it makes you wonder what these other crimes are (unless it's just an empty category).