News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Midsommar !

Started by Duque de Bragança, June 21, 2016, 02:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Specially to Swedes. A bit late, but not too late. ;)
Happy Summer Solstice to all ! Bonne fête de la musique ! Happy Pagan holiday recycled as Christian !
Went to the Swedish cultural centre in Paris for the family-friendly version of Midsommar. ;)

The Brain

Thanks. Did you do the silly dances? :)

In Sweden it's celebrated on Friday (society wants people to keep their drinking to weekends).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Even if I did, I would not tell it.  :P

Well, in Paris it's a more civilised and family-friendly version of Midsommer, so it ends by the last métro, and people drink a bit without getting plastered. This is after all to promote Sweden abroad, by the Swedish cultural centre. As for silly dances, there was even a dance with a tribute to Zlatan (of course!) by having people kicking an imaginary ball.
One pic of the silly dances. Yes, it's pretty mild compared to what happens in Sweden, or so I have been told.

The Brain

Well I know you did Små grodorna. ^_^

Martinus

Summer Solstice was yesterday! This year coinciding with full moon, which apparently occurs every 70 years or so. So the next time it occurs most of us will be dead.  :hug:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on June 21, 2016, 03:08:33 PM
Well I know you did Små grodorna. ^_^

^_^

The frog song is to expected in France.  :frog: Besides, it comes from France (Tack Bernadotte!) where its name was "chanson de l'oignon".  :contract:

Liep

Pfft, screw midsommer, sankthans is where it's at and that's not until the eve of the 23th.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

I was very grateful for the long day and full moon since I was working getting my old house ready for sale all afternoon. So in Sweden this is like a 23 hour day right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Damn I missed yesterdays' hipster celebrations at Stonehenge.  :mad: 

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on June 22, 2016, 08:36:16 AM
I was very grateful for the long day and full moon since I was working getting my old house ready for sale all afternoon. So in Sweden this is like a 23 hour day right?

In Stockholm it's something like an 18.5 hour day. But it never gets really dark since the sun remains just below the horizon, and of course the sun is visible for longer than pure geometry would suggest because of atmospheric refraction.

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on June 22, 2016, 09:22:39 AM
Damn I missed yesterdays' hipster celebrations at Stonehenge.  :mad: 

They were piling rocks on each other before it was cool?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on June 22, 2016, 12:10:11 PM

In Stockholm it's something like an 18.5 hour day. But it never gets really dark since the sun remains just below the horizon, and of course the sun is visible for longer than pure geometry would suggest because of atmospheric refraction.

That must be cool. Down here we still end up with seven or so hours of darkness and two hours of twilight/morning.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on June 22, 2016, 12:10:11 PM

Abba ' Summer Nights City' :wub:

Currently a 16.5 hour day, so factor in dawn/dusk and we have about 4 hours of dark this time of year.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on June 21, 2016, 04:22:22 PM
Pfft, screw midsommer, sankthans is where it's at and that's not until the eve of the 23th.

So more like Feux de la Saint-Jean :P