News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elder Scrolls VI in development

Started by Solmyr, June 17, 2016, 04:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

I'm thinking that Hammerfell will be the next location.  Lots of room for stories there.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Wasn't Daggerfall set there?  If like Valmy says they won't repeat a province, then Hammerfell should be out. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Crazy_Ivan80

given that there's at least one game with all provinces in it, they've been doing nothing but repeats :p

Monoriu

I have played Arena, which was the first game and it covered all provinces.  It is actually quite meaningless because with the exception of the main quest related dungeons, everything else was randomly generated.  So there really wasn't much difference among the provinces.  Every city in each province looked the same.  Every NPC felt the same. 

I haven't played Daggerfall but I heard that it was the same.  They only started doing the landscape, cities and NPCs in detail starting from Morrowind, I think.  Since Morrowind, they have been doing different provinces. 

Grey Fox

Hopefully, it's time for a new engine?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

schaksen

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 21, 2016, 11:27:54 AM
Probably NOT given the "Skyrim Special Edition" likely being a "beta" of an updated engine for ESVI
Formerly known as Gumby, this was/is my pdx nick

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 21, 2016, 06:47:11 AM
given that there's at least one game with all provinces in it, they've been doing nothing but repeats :p

Well ok I am not counting Arena here. Daggerfall also cheats for having two provinces :P

As you can see they only worked on making the world coherent after Daggerfall: http://i.imgur.com/B7rBN.jpg

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: schaksen on June 21, 2016, 11:58:18 AM
Probably NOT given the "Skyrim Special Edition" likely being a "beta" of an updated engine for ESVI
Skyrim is 32 bit engine, able to use more than 2gb of memory with a mod (SKSE).
However, it suffers from all other limitations associated with such an engine.  They can tweak it all they want, they run into many limits, including the number of scripts they can use (and that's a problem for modders, currently, they need to develop tools that merge mods or they make the game crash).  And that province size is about the biggest they can go within the limit of the engine.

So, new engine, hence the long development time.  They will release two other games before that, likely on that new engine, and that will let them tweak it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Given they're saying don't expect it soon, they're working on big things, etc.... I think they probably are looking for a new engine.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on June 22, 2016, 08:18:48 AM
Quote from: schaksen on June 21, 2016, 11:58:18 AM
Skyrim is 32 bit engine, able to use more than 2gb of memory with a mod (SKSE).
However, it suffers from all other limitations associated with such an engine.  They can tweak it all they want, they run into many limits, including the number of scripts they can use (and that's a problem for modders, currently, they need to develop tools that merge mods or they make the game crash).  And that province size is about the biggest they can go within the limit of the engine.

So, new engine, hence the long development time.  They will release two other games before that, likely on that new engine, and that will let them tweak it.

They said that the SE will support 64bit, shacksen may be right.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Honestly they ought to try two provinces.  I've never been a big fan of the lore.  The only place that really felt unique was Morrowwind.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

I had limited playing with Skyrim because of that. Got so bored of the Nords and all that snow and ice. Morrowind was much more interesting as you say.

Valmy

Cyrodiil was supposed to be a Roman Empire of dark skinned people living in a jungle. And then they changed it to a generic fantasy setting to increase sales.

That experience tells me we are not likely to see something as weird as Morrowind again anytime soon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 08:35:37 AM
And then they changed it to a generic fantasy setting to increase sales.
:bleeding:  Didn't know that.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

The weird thing was they went BACK to being dark skinned Romans in Skyrim:

In Oblivion he would have been wearing full plate.