Main Menu

Epic Soviet Era Aircraft [pictures]

Started by Jacob, June 17, 2016, 12:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

This may be of interest to some of our military hardware nerds here:

Way more pictures here and here.

Malthus

Damn, that thing is weird looking. Like an abandoned Soviet version of a Star Trek vehicle.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Ah, the Caspian Sea Monster.  I remember him well.

I'm assuming that this is the second, never-finished model.  The first crashed (these things were very sensitive to sea state and wind) and this looks in too good a shape to have been raised.  Google translate makes the blog you linked to a hash that i cannot penetrate.  Cool stuff, though.

here is a video of the first one in "flight." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8Nu94khHoo

Edit:  This is one of the handful of follow-on WIGE aircraft completed, not the KM itself (or the incomplete one).  It is apparently kept as a museum exhibit at Kaspiysk.  That's even cooler than this being a remnant.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Ekranoplans are thoroughly cool machines, well at least in my book they are.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Are those things on its back missile tubes?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

Is there any advantage to this over, say a normal hydrofoil? It doesn't seem like it was intended to fly it over land anyway.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 17, 2016, 04:19:26 PM
Is there any advantage to this over, say a normal hydrofoil? It doesn't seem like it was intended to fly it over land anyway.

It is much faster than a hydrofoil (c. 300 knots, IIRC) and  is much larger (something like 400 tons).  It was one of those concepts that worked supremely well up  until the moment it encountered reality.  It really only worked under near-ideal sea and wind conditions, which were rare.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Hamilcar

It looks like something an 8 year old drew.

CountDeMoney

Oooh, another mid-century vintage find on Etsy.  Favorited!

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Berkut

The thing I don't understand about things like this is that it seems obvious to me that this is simply not workable. I am not any kind of engineer, but it doesn't take a degree to imagine that something cruising along at 400MPH several feet above the surface of the water is going to have serious problems with wind and any kind of wave action.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

I'm a Frogfoot and Fencer fan myself.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.