And we're back!

Main Menu

Jesus' Wife?

Started by Jacob, June 16, 2016, 10:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on August 27, 2016, 08:40:52 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2016, 02:56:50 PM
If you go back to your original post, you did not limit your comments to what you personally believe but what "we" think is an acceptable definition of a christian.

I think you misread his post.  Berkut referred to a generally accepted meaning of Christian which is, by all lights, correct.  Christianity is about belief in the divine nature of the Christ and his mission on earth.  I don't see why anyone would even want to call themselves Christian if they don't believe in the divinity of the Christ.  The very word "christ" itself has no meaning if you don't believe in his divinity and his anointment by his god for his task.

Ok, you assert a definition, say you don't understand why anyone would disagree with it and then reassert your confidence that your proposed definition must be correct.  Except there are have been Christians who have disagreed with that definition throughout history.  You present a very good example of what Jacob was talking about earlier in the thread.

Barrister

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2016, 09:53:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2016, 09:46:21 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2016, 08:58:06 PM
Time to play "GUESS ED'S RELIGION"

Winner gets my respect. Losers get raped by my vengeful spirit.

Go!

Apostolic Lutheran Church of America.

Ugh. NO

But no spirit rape.  Curious. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2016, 10:21:37 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2016, 09:53:09 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2016, 09:46:21 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2016, 08:58:06 PM
Time to play "GUESS ED'S RELIGION"

Winner gets my respect. Losers get raped by my vengeful spirit.

Go!

Apostolic Lutheran Church of America.

Ugh. NO

But no spirit rape.  Curious. :hmm:

I don't do lawyers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2016, 07:26:47 PM

That is the first result we get from google, and it sure seems pretty spot on in the context of our discussion. If you want to argue something else, take it up with Oxford.

I define ritual as an anthropologist who studied religion. The dictionary is based on the English language, which you will have to agree is perhaps not about all human cultures.  It certainly does exclude a few...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Get back to talking about me.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: PDH on August 27, 2016, 10:24:58 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 27, 2016, 07:26:47 PM

That is the first result we get from google, and it sure seems pretty spot on in the context of our discussion. If you want to argue something else, take it up with Oxford.

I define ritual as an anthropologist who studied religion. The dictionary is based on the English language, which you will have to agree is perhaps not about all human cultures.  It certainly does exclude a few...

You can define anything as you like, but to actually communicate we are stuck with this pesky language thing, and we happen to be using that English one, so I am going to stick with the definitions of common terms as they are used in the common language we are using to communicate.

In that language words like "religion" have rather specific meanings, and when I am talking about religion, I am talking about the concept as defined and used in the English language. We have these handy references we often use when we are unsure about what words in this language mean, and as I expected, those references say that my definition is in fact correct, while yours is, at best, undefined. If you want to define religion in some other fashion, go ahead, but I don't find that all that interesting.

When *I* am talking about religion, I am talking about the concept commonly understood and defined within the English language.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: garbon on August 27, 2016, 04:54:01 PM
Why should he care if he is mocked? And yes mocked is the right word by calling his beliefs 'quasi-religious' and that he 'pretend(s) to be Christian'.#

To be fair, I don't think that Berkut is questioning the sincerity of Valmy's beliefs, just the terminology by which they should be classified.

Martinus

I just misread the thread's title as "Jesus Wept". Which is probably more correct now. :P

The Brain

I define ritual as an anthropologist who studied religion.

That's just bizarre.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

garbon

Quote from: dps on August 28, 2016, 12:44:49 AM
Why should he care if he is mocked? And yes mocked is the right word by calling his beliefs 'quasi-religious' and that he 'pretend(s) to be Christian'.#

To be fair, I don't think that Berkut is questioning the sincerity of Valmy's beliefs, just the terminology by which they should be classified.

Doesn't really soften the words he is using.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on August 28, 2016, 02:23:29 AM
Quote from: dps on August 28, 2016, 12:44:49 AM

Doesn't really soften the words he is using.

So, your point is not that Berkut is "wrong" but that he is not "nice"?

That's highly subjective and really a matter of feelings, as opposed to facts. Kinda hard to argue with that one way or the other, you know...

Tonitrus

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2016, 10:20:56 PM
Ok, you assert a definition, say you don't understand why anyone would disagree with it and then reassert your confidence that your proposed definition must be correct.  Except there are have been Christians who have disagreed with that definition throughout history.  You present a very good example of what Jacob was talking about earlier in the thread.

This is not even a good pretense of an argument.  You assert that "Christians throughout history" have denied the existence of the Christian God and the divinity of Christ as evidence that Berkut and I are incorrect, but provide no support for such an assertion.  You present a very good example of what we should try very hard to avoid when debating here.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

I have no idea what you are arguing here.  It seems like you are arguing that all ritual is religious, which can't seriously be your argument because we all know that such an assertion is absurd.  So, it seems like you define ritual in some fashion you are unable to easily share.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!