News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pictures from Pre-Great War Germany

Started by Jacob, June 09, 2016, 12:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Neat pictures for the historically inclined:

On the Linden. -- The Emperor, on return from the parades of Tempelhof and Spandau, always returns to the Royal Palace by the great Linden road, a kilometre-long avenue in the centre of Berlin. To the left, the palace of the Crown Prince; to the right, the Arsenal, the royal guard, the University,

Old Berlin. -- Behind the proud front of its new streets, Berlin, like Paris, has its flaws, its shameful corners, its leprous streets, its rickety houses where teems an ambiguous and miserable population.

German Dirigibles. -- The aircraft cruiser that one can see moving over the Bay of Heligoland belongs to the category of rigid craft, which easily do 75 kilometres per hour.

Wannsee. -- The most lovable carelessness presides at these swims; men and women are mixed picturesquely together, to the great detriment of German modesty so vaunted by the country.

Elberfeld. -- The raised railroad requires a particular method of inspection, where the monitor travels along the lign, sitting on a velocipede.

Many more here:
http://www.pagef30.com/2016/05/494-images-of-germany-just-before-world.html

And here:
http://www.pagef30.com/2016/05/494-images-of-germany-just-before-world_6.html

Valmy

I posted this already in the OT thread but it probably deserves a home here. Great stuff from a world long since buried under rubble.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

The guy in the last pic will give me nightmares tonight.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zanza

Zanza

Eh, some of the pictures are labeled as "Ancient Cologne" but are clearly from Rottenburg ob der Tauber in Bavaria. 

Today:

Admiral Yi

Do the inhabitants all have to dress up like Disney characters?

Valmy

Maybe it is just an amazing coincidence.  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 09, 2016, 01:57:18 PM

In Rottenburg? Yeah pretty much.

Zanza

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 09, 2016, 01:57:18 PM
To distinguish them from the hordes of Japanese and Chinese tourists?  ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on June 09, 2016, 01:46:45 PM
What a fucking idiot.

His bizarre obsession with wearing a variety of military uniforms is pretty sad. That must have been an embarrassment even at the time.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Valmy on June 09, 2016, 02:14:55 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 09, 2016, 01:46:45 PM
What a fucking idiot.

His bizarre obsession with wearing a variety of military uniforms is pretty sad. That must have been an embarrassment even at the time.

He seemed to have gotten stuck as a 12 year old boy playing "war".  Unfortunately, he ended up with one of the world's most powerful militaries while in that state. :(