Would you buy a house in which a hidden corpse was discovered?

Started by Malthus, June 09, 2016, 12:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: Monoriu on June 09, 2016, 05:33:34 PM
I personally don't care.  But the problem is that it is safe to assume that most Chinese care very much.  I'll have real problem trying to sell it.

That reminds me of an anecdote from one of the very early settlers of the Pacific Northwest.  It was that the local Native American tribes had the custom of having to abandon any home/dwelling in which a person had died.  Understandable perhaps, but I kept thinking that kind of taboo has to be a huge stunt on overall development for a primitive culture that relies heavily on a very basic, subsistence survival.

And, of course, the introduction of smallpox, and resulting mass deaths, made such a taboo absolutely devastating.  And, in fact, Lewis and Clark's journals reference quite a fair number of abandoned villages/settlements along the Columbia River.

Admiral Yi

The Indians of the Pacific Northwest were hardly living a subsistence life.  They lived a life of extravagant abundance.

Monoriu

Chinese won't abandon these places though.  They still buy them, just at a big discount.  Actually it is not a bad way to get your own place (relatively) cheaply, if you don't mind the fact that somebody was murdered in the place 2 years ago with her body dismembered in creative ways. 

MadImmortalMan

It sounds like a sitcom. Wasn't there a show where there was a dead kid in the wall but his ghost was friendly?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Nope, if a corpse was found there, it means that house isn't as good a hiding place as I tought.  :ph34r:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 09, 2016, 10:46:46 PM
Nope, if a corpse was found there, it means that house isn't as good a hiding place as I tought.  :ph34r:

Hey, it stayed hidden since the 1920s. That's a pretty good run.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Hey Malthus is the guy with the ancient antique house. Who knows what horrible things lurk below.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2016, 08:45:10 AM
Hey Malthus is the guy with the ancient antique house. Who knows what horrible thinks lurk below.

Only in North America would a house built in the 1930s be "ancient".  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 10, 2016, 08:58:11 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2016, 08:45:10 AM
Hey Malthus is the guy with the ancient antique house. Who knows what horrible thinks lurk below.

Only in North America would a house built in the 1930s be "ancient".  :lol:

:P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

A adult corpse no.
A baby corpse.... depends on the discount.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on June 10, 2016, 09:54:14 AM
A adult corpse no.

Why would the adult/baby distinction make any difference? 

Brazen

So long as they're a) no longer there or b) no longer smell, sure.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on June 10, 2016, 10:21:11 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 10, 2016, 09:54:14 AM
A adult corpse no.

Why would the adult/baby distinction make any difference?

Simple ghost logic.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017