Fort McMurray burns

Started by Barrister, May 03, 2016, 09:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

sbr

Quote from: Caliga on May 06, 2016, 02:37:59 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 05, 2016, 05:24:10 PM
It is done.  I once worked on data centres and I am afraid that the IT people's bizarre risk mindset has already infected me.  Those guys worry about everything from power outages, earthquakes to extremely unlikely events that will never happen in a million years, like a fire burning down a building.  So I keep a USB thumb drive in the office with all the digital music files and subtitle files, and I update it like every quarter.
Yeah.  We actually wasted a bunch of time on a nuclear strike contingency plan a few years ago. :bleeding:

Well, to be fair, we just called it that, but it was to deal with any generic disaster in which our Chicago and Louisville offices were simultaneously totally destroyed.

While I can't argue with the idea, is there any reason to think Louisville would be the target of a nuclear strike?

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on May 06, 2016, 04:13:40 PM
It is done.  I once worked on data centres and I am afraid that the IT people's bizarre risk mindset has already infected me.  Those guys worry about everything from power outages, earthquakes to extremely unlikely events that will never happen in a million years, like a fire burning down a building.  So I keep a USB thumb drive in the office with all the digital music files and subtitle files, and I update it like every quarter.
Yeah.  We actually wasted a bunch of time on a nuclear strike contingency plan a few years ago. :bleeding:

Well, to be fair, we just called it that, but it was to deal with any generic disaster in which our Chicago and Louisville offices were simultaneously totally destroyed.

While I can't argue with the idea, is there any reason to think Louisville would be the target of a nuclear strike?

It's the center of the US whiskey production.  The Russians believe that destroying this will cripple the NATO spelling alphabet, causing command and control problems all over the world.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Plus, would you want to live through the nuclear apocalypse without whiskey?
I wouldn't either.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 06, 2016, 11:59:29 AM
You didn't even try.

I tried, and hundreds of thousands of people in similar situations also tried.  The consensus is that one should make money in Hong Kong/China, but keep the wives and kids in Canada. 

sbr

Quote from: Monoriu on May 06, 2016, 08:00:06 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 06, 2016, 11:59:29 AM
You didn't even try.

I tried, and hundreds of thousands of people in similar situations also tried.  The consensus is that one should make money in Hong Kong/China, but keep the wives and kids in Canada.

That's a fantastic suggestion.  The high point of me and my ex-wife's relationship was when I was working out of town and only home 3 nights a week.  Once I started working locally again things went pear-shaped pretty quickly.

viper37

Have you ever tried shooting a gun while drunk and hitting your target?  Try with a ballistic missile now.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

Could be a friendly fire/fragging incident. In a time of crisis, ridding the country of the douchebag trio Bobby Petrino, Rick Pitino, and the Papa Johns guy may be judged worth the loss of Louisville.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

Quote from: alfred russel on May 09, 2016, 05:18:42 PM

Rick Pitino

:hmm:  Would a nuclear strike kill a vampire?

jimmy olsen

Bloomberg really needs to get better headline writers. Wouldn't 15% of the city destroyed earn more clicks?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-09/alberta-oil-town-at-heart-of-wildfires-remains-85-intact

Alberta Oil Town at Heart of Wildfires Remains 85% Intact
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

So today is the first day people are being allowed to return to Ft McMurray.

QuoteReturning Fort McMurray residents face long road to recovery
Taking stock, establishing routine can help create feelings of normalcy, experts suggest
By Amy Husser, CBC News Posted: Jun 01, 2016 5:00 AM ET Last Updated: Jun 01, 2016 6:16 AM ET

Trish Trefry knows her dream home near Fort McMurray is still standing, but she doesn't yet know if it's in livable condition.

Like many of the 88,000 residents who fled the northern Alberta community a month ago when "The Beast" wildfire moved in, Trefry and her husband will be heading back this week to assess the damage.

They will be taking with them a newly purchased trailer filled with water, food and a pair of air mattresses.

Going back to Fort McMurray? Here's what you need to know
Heavy police presence to greet 1st wave of returning residents
"It burnt literally right to our doorstep," says Trefry, counting herself lucky her home southeast of Fort McMurray is one of only four left standing on the street. "There's just this little pocket of homes that were saved somehow."

The Trefrys' insurance company has warned that if the foundation of their home was affected, the house could be a writeoff.

"I'm about to jump out of my skin, I'm so anxious. I just want to get back there, I need to be back there — even if it's just for a day," Trefry says. "I'd rather see for myself that I can't stay there rather than somebody tell me."

Slow and steady re-entry plan

Residents will be returning to Fort McMurray and the surrounding area in waves over the coming days, part of a phased re-entry aimed at slowly getting things back up and running after fire destroyed 10 per cent of the buildings in the community.

Officials have warned it won't immediately be business as usual.

Residents are being asked to bring enough food and water for two weeks, and prescriptions. Crews have been working to get businesses like banks and grocery stores up and running, but the opening of the airport and hospital, as well as garbage collection, will come later.

For returning residents, a feeling of normalcy is likely a ways off.

"I don't know how much people can totally prepare," says Judith Kulig, a University of Lethbridge professor.

Kulig, who has studied the aftermath of four major fires in Western Canada, including Slave Lake five years ago, says people could potentially relive the evacuation experience as they return.

With regular updates from the provincial government and images splashed across social media, most residents have an idea of how badly they've been hit. "But it will still be different to stand there and see the loss," Kulig says.

Australian studies have found post-traumatic stress disorder can be diagnosed years after a wildfire, she says.

No 'right way' to react

Evacuees should regularly assess their emotions in the coming days and weeks, Kulig suggests, keeping track of when and how often they feel overwhelmed, fatigued or irritable.

She also recommends individuals and families take inventory of their priorities, writing down pragmatic things, like household tasks, but also listing their values and principles as they seek to re-establish themselves.

It's also important to create routine, says April Nelson, an Edmonton-based psychologist who's been offering free counselling to evacuees. That should include regular sleep, exercise and work-related habits.

"Our feelings and emotions are the driving force of what we do," Nelson says. "[They] steer our everyday thinking, they steer our decision-making ... Being aware of that is going to be important.

"What comes out in situations like this, we can be very obsessive in our thinking," she says. "The key is to keep it forward-focused."

Lana Broks knows her future is not in Fort McMurray. Her family of four already know their home in the Wood Buffalo neighbourhood is gone and her husband has found a new job in Edmonton.

"In some ways I'm glad we don't have to go back to live in those conditions," she says. "But I'm also so sad that we don't have anything to go home to."

When the evacuation order came down on May 3, Broks rushed to her home through thick smoke, grabbed a few essentials and went to pick her two young daughters up from daycare. Her husband and brother stayed behind.

'It takes your breath away'

While fleeing the community alone with her daughters, ages two and 13 months, the youngest began throwing up, perhaps due to smoke inhalation. Broks had to pull over and get the baby out of her car seat, worried she would choke.

"You could hear it crackling and it was so smoky. The fire was right at the road," Broks said. "It seemed like we were driving right into the fire, but there was nothing we could do about it."

Her husband, Kyle, meanwhile, was forced to abandon his loaded-up truck on the side of the road after getting stuck in traffic. He ran along Birchwood Trail to the highway and caught a ride north.

"I was 99 per cent sure that the house was gone," Broks said. "But I kept trolling Facebook, desperate for a photo."

She soon found one.

Hundreds of undamaged homes unsafe due to toxic ash
Children still affected five years after Slave Lake fire
"The neighbour's house is still standing and looks great," she said. "But you wouldn't recognize [ours] if you didn't know what to look for ... It takes your breath away."

'Roller-coaster of emotions'

Focusing on positive habits can be a powerful coping mechanism, says Nelson. "Establishing that mindset, it's going to put things in perspective for the next little while."

Scott Myers, born and raised in Fort McMurray, called the past month a "roller-coaster of emotions." But he says he'll return home Wednesday with an "open mind."

He knows he's fortunate: the gas has already been turned back on and he thinks all he'll need to do is replace the refrigerator and freezer.

"I'm prepared to stay, but that depends on how everything progresses up there.... It's my hometown, I don't plan on abandoning it."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/fort-mcmurray-returns-psychology-1.3609331

So apparently even homes that are still standing may have substantial smoke or heat damage.  Also reports a number of homes were looted during the time away (many were eft unlocked - so great was the rush to get out of town).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Those poor people.

Oh and Michael Moore taught me that Canadians always leave their doors unlocked.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Wow, I had no idea the town was still evacuated, crazy.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Tough stuff for those people returning to burnt out towns and areas. Best of luck to them in coping with it all.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 03, 2016, 06:08:30 AM
Wow, I had no idea the town was still evacuated, crazy.

Yeah, a full month for the all-clear.  That's tough.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)