And we're back!

Main Menu

Fort McMurray burns

Started by Barrister, May 03, 2016, 09:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on May 05, 2016, 05:17:06 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 05, 2016, 05:07:13 PM
Subtitle files are tiny.  About 50k each.  Even 10,000 files only take 600MB. 

If that really is on your second tier of "must save in case of emergency" it seems to me that you should maintain a few physical backups and possibly some remote backup as well.

It is done.  I once worked on data centres and I am afraid that the IT people's bizarre risk mindset has already infected me.  Those guys worry about everything from power outages, earthquakes to extremely unlikely events that will never happen in a million years, like a fire burning down a building.  So I keep a USB thumb drive in the office with all the digital music files and subtitle files, and I update it like every quarter.

Monoriu

Quote from: dps on May 05, 2016, 05:23:50 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 05, 2016, 05:04:30 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 05, 2016, 04:50:39 AM

You have some pretty weird priorities. A wet towel is essential for immediate survival? Music and anime get a higher priority that drugs you need to take?

If I am trying to escape a situation with lots of smoke and fire, I imagine that a wet towel will help my survival chances substantially.  At least that's the advice of our own fire department.  It helps filter smoke. 

I can buy and replace ulcer drugs easily.  Just some generic drugs available at every drug store.  Not getting them means some pain, but it isn't intolerable.  Music files on the other hand represent a decade-old effort, with thousands of man hours invested into them.  It is like 55GB, so just a USB thumb drive.  The anime subtitle files are on the same device.  So it is just "remember to take that thumb drive."

Your list makes a decent amount of sense in the case of a fire in your building, but not in a more widespread disaster in which there might not be any drugstores open (or even standing).

I can bump the drugs one tier up if it bothers you guys so much :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on May 05, 2016, 05:24:10 PM
Those guys worry about everything from power outages, earthquakes to extremely unlikely events that will never happen in a million years,

Weirdos.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Monoriu

I have seen the evacuation videos and I am very impressed.  There is good order, nobody honks, people obey police instructions etc.  Car traffic in a random Chinese city behave much more erratically on any given day.  Whereas Canadians behave in an orderly fashion even in life threatening situations. 

The Larch

Quote from: Monoriu on May 06, 2016, 09:04:19 AM
I have seen the evacuation videos and I am very impressed.  There is good order, nobody honks, people obey police instructions etc.  Car traffic in a random Chinese city behave much more erratically on any given day.  Whereas Canadians behave in an orderly fashion even in life threatening situations.

One more reason for you to regret moving away from Canada.  :P

Monoriu

Quote from: The Larch on May 06, 2016, 09:15:41 AM

One more reason for you to regret moving away from Canada.  :P

There is no such regret.  Not being able to find a job is a deal breaker :P

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on May 05, 2016, 05:17:06 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on May 05, 2016, 05:07:13 PM
Subtitle files are tiny.  About 50k each.  Even 10,000 files only take 600MB. 

If that really is on your second tier of "must save in case of emergency" it seems to me that you should maintain a few physical backups and possibly some remote backup as well.
dude has got like 12tb of hard drives filled to the brim with anime.  There's no way you can get online storage at a decent price for such a huge amount of data.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

British tradition, advancing under fire, executing orderly retreats, etc, etc. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Quote from: Monoriu on May 05, 2016, 05:24:10 PM
It is done.  I once worked on data centres and I am afraid that the IT people's bizarre risk mindset has already infected me.  Those guys worry about everything from power outages, earthquakes to extremely unlikely events that will never happen in a million years, like a fire burning down a building.  So I keep a USB thumb drive in the office with all the digital music files and subtitle files, and I update it like every quarter.
Yeah.  We actually wasted a bunch of time on a nuclear strike contingency plan a few years ago. :bleeding:

Well, to be fair, we just called it that, but it was to deal with any generic disaster in which our Chicago and Louisville offices were simultaneously totally destroyed.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on May 06, 2016, 12:27:28 PM
British tradition, advancing under fire, executing orderly retreats, etc, etc. ;)

It is basically how the beach at Dunquerque went. 'Pip pip line up chaps, wait your turn, mind the Jerry bombs, tip-tip-erary and all that'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

citizen k

The Ft. McMurray area looks pretty ethnically diverse. Is that due to oil sands industry?