And we're back!

Main Menu

Muhammed Ali is dead

Started by Drakken, June 04, 2016, 12:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2016, 05:30:01 AM
Quote from: Barrister on June 04, 2016, 01:06:05 AM
He's not one whose politics I agreed with, but who lead an admirable life.  God Bless, Mohammed Ali, and Rest In Peace.

Can you elaborate? I have never heard of this side of his life.

He was drafted during the Vietnam War, but refused to serve.  He had applied for, but was refused classification as a conscientious objector, and was sent to prison and stripped of his world championship title.

Caliga

:yes:

"No Vietcong ever called me nigga." :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

He was also part of the Nation before transitioning to more mainstream Islam. Though looking it up, looks like he eventually transitioned to being Sufi.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

The news was talking a lot about how he is quite universally loved in the uk but less so in the us :unsure:
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

I think historically maybe. In the 70s he was hugely controversial in the US. In the UK he did great Parkinson appearances and argued with Clough :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Ok. Kudos on the conscientous objector thing but I feel like the rest of it is "lost in translation" so to speak. What's so admirable about converting to Islam?  :huh:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2016, 12:45:05 PM
Ok. Kudos on the conscientous objector thing but I feel like the rest of it is "lost in translation" so to speak. What's so admirable about converting to Islam?  :huh:
'I am America. I am the part you won't recognize. But get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me.'
Let's bomb Russia!

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

I was on a really small regional flight to Chicago (I think O'Hare) on a plane that probably sat 20 passengers. Everyone boarded, and at the last minute Mohammed Ali boarded with his assistant. He wasn't in the boarding area--the airline must have been working with him to minimize the hassle.

Everyone on the plane was given an autographed copy of a picture with Ali--I'm assuming to keep everyone from asking for autographs. And when we landed, it wasn't hard to see why. He was absolutely mobbed at the airport. With his condition, any travel in public had to be a challenge--I don't know how he ever made it through the airport.

It really is a credit to him that he kept making the appearances he did even with Parkinson's. I guess he didn't retire his championship fighting spirit when he gave up boxing.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jaron

Breitbart wrote a RIP article for him. I'm surprised you didn't get your opinion from there, Martinus.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on June 04, 2016, 12:45:05 PM

Who cares what you think? You were created by Mr. Yakub.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Ali v. Williams love watching that fight. The pinnacle of his skill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rI6pZDJOVc
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Monoriu

I don't understand the fascination about him. 

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom