Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Gross :mad:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31681795/ns/health-fitness/
QuoteAs 23 states get even fatter, heavy costs loom
Not a single state shows signs of slimming; Miss. remains No. 1 for obesity

AP
updated 2 hours, 8 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Mississippi's still king of cellulite, but an ominous tide is rolling toward the Medicare doctors in neighboring Alabama: obese baby boomers.

It's time for the nation's annual obesity rankings and, outside of fairly lean Colorado, there's little good news. Obesity rates among adults rose in 23 states over the past year and didn't decline anywhere, says a new report from the Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

And while the nation has long been bracing for a surge in Medicare as the boomers start turning 65, the new report makes clear that fat, not just age, will fuel much of those bills. In every state, the rate of obesity is higher among 55- to 64-year-olds — the oldest boomers — than among today's 65-and-beyond.

New wave of obesity
That translates into a coming jump of obese Medicare patients that ranges from 5.2 percent in New York to a high of 16.3 percent in Alabama, the report concluded. In Alabama, nearly 39 percent of the oldest boomers are obese.

Health economists once made the harsh financial calculation that the obese would save money by dying sooner, notes Jeff Levi, executive director of the Trust, a nonprofit public health group. But more recent research instead suggests they live nearly as long but are much sicker for longer, requiring such costly interventions as knee replacements and diabetes care and dialysis. Studies show Medicare spends anywhere from $1,400 to $6,000 more annually on health care for an obese senior than for the non-obese.

No magic bullet
"There isn't a magic bullet. We don't have a pill for it," said Levi, whose group is pushing for health reform legislation to include community-level programs that help people make healthier choices — like building sidewalks so people can walk their neighborhoods instead of drive, and providing healthier school lunches.

"It's not going to be solved in the doctor's office but in the community, where we change norms," Levi said.

Obesity for adults is defined as having a body mass index above 30, a much higher bar than merely being overweight. When combined, two-thirds of American adults are either obese or overweight.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has long said that nearly a third of Americans are obese. The Trust report uses somewhat more conservative CDC surveys for a closer state-by-state look. Among the findings:

* Mississippi had the highest rate of adult obesity, 32.5 percent, for the fifth year in a row.
    * Three additional states now have adult obesity rates above 30 percent, including Alabama, 31.2 percent; West Virginia, 31.1 percent; and Tennessee, 30.2 percent.
    * Colorado had the lowest rate of obese adults, at 18.9 percent, followed by Massachusetts, 21.2 percent; and Connecticut, 21.3 percent.
    * Mississippi also had the highest rate of overweight and obese children, at 44.4 percent. It's followed by Arkansas, 37.5 percent; and Georgia, 37.3 percent.
    * Following Alabama, Michigan ranks No. 2 with the most obese 55- to 64-year-olds, 36 percent. Colorado has the lowest rate, 21.8 percent.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Geez Colorado is the lowest and still has a frightening 19% of its people above a BMI of 30.

Holy crap.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Phillip V

Fat killing America. Add an aging population and lack of reproduction, I wonder how the demographics will be 20-30 years from now.

Strix

Isn't this a good thing?

Fatter seniors = lower life expectancy = lower overall Medicare costs per lifetime
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Phillip V

Quote from: Strix on July 01, 2009, 12:54:25 PM
Isn't this a good thing?

Fatter seniors = lower life expectancy = lower overall Medicare costs per lifetime

Read the article.

Valmy

I will say this: if you live the lifestyle our culture presents to you and do not make an effort you WILL be obese.

I blame YOU for this America.  Your buying of shitty food for decades has transformed our way of life into the fatass way of life.

Example: I went to a restaurant recently and the 'heathy food' section guaranteed each dish had less than 900 calories and 9 grams of fat.  Shit that is the "health freak" food?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2009, 01:00:25 PM
I blame YOU for this America. 

:Embarrass:

What can we do to make it up to you?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jos Theelen

Put $1 fattax on each hamburger sold. probably enough to cover the healthcare costs.

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on July 01, 2009, 01:04:27 PM
What can we do to make it up to you?

By not making me pay shitloads to fund your fatass' healthcare preferably.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2009, 01:06:19 PM

By not making me pay shitloads to fund your fatass' healthcare preferably.

Would you take a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken instead?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Strix

Quote from: Phillip V on July 01, 2009, 12:56:37 PM
Quote from: Strix on July 01, 2009, 12:54:25 PM
Isn't this a good thing?

Read the article.

Ok, that sort of answers the question. That they are unwilling to provide actually numbers suggests that this article is just hyperbole at best.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on July 01, 2009, 01:08:00 PM
Would you take a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken instead?

:unsure:

Um....

Ok  :blush: