News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Duterte elected in the Philippines

Started by Jacob, May 31, 2016, 04:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I agree with Shelf.  I don't see Robert Mugabe as particularly ideological.

The biggest difference with left populist fuckups is that western academics cheer along as they flush their country down the toilet.  :P

Sheilbh

Right populists just have Breitbart writers and Republican Presidential candidates :P
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2016, 07:01:55 PM
I'm not sure that works. I mean I think Putin and Erdogan broadly fall into that category and in both cases they've distracted domestic issues into foreign policy with damaging results.

Do you really want a failing tough man whipping up the crowds about, say, South China Sea islands? It seems like the Pacific rim is the last place - except the US - we need that sort of leadership.

Neither of those guys have been anywhere near Venezuela level disastrous for their countries. The economic performance of their respective countries have been generally positive since they took over, current trends notwithstanding.

Yi: Mugabe has been Venezuela level disastrous, but I wouldn't say an anti colonial leader is non ideological.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Monoriu

I think this is yet another case of "we have tried the same corrupt politicians for decades and our lives have not improved.  Let's try somebody new.  Anybody not in the old crowd."

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2016, 07:14:57 PM
Right populists just have Breitbart writers and Republican Presidential candidates :P

Huckabee :bleeding:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

The death squads have begun to reap their gruesome toll.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-06-04/philippines-police-officers-rewarded-with-first-kill-bounties/7477548

Philippines police rewarded for killing traffickers as part of bounty election promise

Posted 4 Jun 2016, 12:05pm
Philippines' president-elect Rodrigo Duterte

A Philippines politician said he had given more than $4,000 to police officers for killing drug traffickers — the first such rewards since president-elect Rodrigo Duterte promoted bounties for slain criminals.

Mr Duterte won last month's elections in a landslide after pledging to wipe out crime by killing tens of thousands of criminals, and this week said he would pay bounties to law enforcement officers for dead drug traffickers.

Tomas Osmena, mayor-elect of Cebu, the nation's second-biggest city, offered similar rewards and announced on his Facebook page on Thursday night he had paid out $4,480 to police who killed three men he said were drug traffickers.

Mr Osmena posted a series of comments celebrating the deaths of the three men, as he lashed out at the Commission on Human Rights — a constitutionally mandated body — for investigating the circumstances of the May 28 killings.

"CHR = Criminals. Have. Rights. (Even more than the real victims)," Mr Osmena wrote.

Mr Osmena described one of the slain suspects, Rowen Secretaria, as one of Cebu's biggest drug dealers.

He did not return calls from AFP news agency requesting comment, and in a previous interview refused to disclose where the money for the bounties would come from.

Mr Osmena and Mr Duterte — like all winners in the national elections — will not take office until June 30.

But Mr Duterte this week urged security forces to begin the war on crime immediately, calling on them to kill criminals.

Mr Duterte announced on Tuesday he would pay $28,509 to law enforcers for killing drug lords, with lesser amounts for lower-ranking people in drug syndicates.

However, Mr Osmena's rewards are the first confirmation of a payment being made for killing a suspect.

Mr Duterte's law-and-order campaign pledges hypnotised millions of Filipinos hoping for quick solutions to the nation's deep-rooted problems of crime and corruption.

However, human rights groups and other critics voiced alarm that a Duterte presidency would lead to extrajudicial killings and a general breakdown in the rule of law.

A recent spate of drug suspects being killed has deepened those fears.

Police have confirmed killing at least 15 drug suspects, including Mr Secretaria and his group, since May 24.

However, police have insisted all of those deaths occurred because the suspects fought back, and there were no illegal killings.

Earlier this week, Mr Duterte told reporters there was justification for killing journalists who took bribes or engaged in other corrupt activities.

AFP
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

:o Frank Drebin should have worked over there instead!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

I am even less inclined to go there now.  Their law enforcement now have extra incentive to find drugs in my possessions.  By whatever means necessary :ph34r:

viper37

yes, it's the problem with bounties like these, anybody can be a drug trafficker now.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

alfred russel

Quote from: viper37 on June 13, 2016, 12:34:12 PM
yes, it's the problem with bounties like these, anybody can be a drug trafficker now.

Could be a bug, could be a feature.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malicious Intent

Duterte calls on people to murder drug addicts. Has there actually been any meaningful international response to this madman?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/01/philippines-president-rodrigo-duterte-urges-people-to-kill-drug-addicts

Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte urges people to kill drug addicts

Duterte, 71, won power in a landslide after a campaign dominated by threats to kill tens of thousands in a war on crime

Authoritarian firebrand Rodrigo Duterte was sworn in as the Philippines' president on Thursday, extending an olive branch to the country's elites in his official speech, only to later vow to wipe out drug traffickers and urge the population to kill addicts.

Duterte, 71, won last month's election in a landslide after a campaign dominated by threats to kill tens of thousands of criminals in a relentless war on crime, and tirades against the nation's elite that cast him as an incendiary, anti-establishment hero.

Following a measured speech after taking his oath before a small audience inside the presidential palace, the outspoken leader paid an evening visit to a Manila slum and unleashed profanity-laden threats against drug traffickers in front of a crowd of about 500 people

"These sons of whores are destroying our children. I warn you, don't go into that, even if you're a policeman, because I will really kill you," the head of state told the audience.

"If you know of any addicts, go ahead and kill them yourself as getting their parents to do it would be too painful."

Duterte has previously alleged some police officers were engaged in drug trafficking.

Repeating a favourite campaign refrain, the new president also said it would make good business sense to set up funeral parlours.

"I assure you you won't go bankrupt. If your business slows I will tell the police, 'Do it faster to help the people earn money'."

In his speech earlier at the Malacanang presidential palace, as he took over from Benigno Aquino, Duterte had given notice there would be dark days during his six years in office.

"The ride will be rough but come join me just the same," Duterte said in his remarks, which opened with familiar themes about the need to instil discipline in a graft-infested society.

"The problems that bedevil our country today which need to be addressed with urgency are corruption, both in the high and low echelons in government, criminality in the streets and the rampant sale of illegal drugs in all strata of Philippine society and the breakdown of law and order."

Duterte, a lawyer who earned a reputation as an authoritarian figure as mayor of the southern city of Davao over most of the past two decades, said these problems were symptoms of eroding Filipino faith in their leaders.

He had previously outlined a vision for his anti-crime program that included reintroducing the death penalty, with hanging his preferred method of execution.

He said he would issue shoot-to-kill orders to the security services and offer them bounties for the bodies of drug dealers. He also urged ordinary Filipinos to kill suspected criminals.

During the campaign, Duterte said 100,000 people would die in his crackdown, with so many dead bodies dumped in Manila Bay that fish there would grow fat from feeding on them.

He has been accused of links to vigilante death squads in Davao, which rights groups say have killed more than 1,000 people.

Such groups are concerned that extrajudicial killings could spread across the Philippines under him, with a police crackdown following his election already leaving dozens of people dead.

During the election campaign, Duterte picked fights with the envoys of key allies the US and Australia after they criticised his joke about wanting to rape a "beautiful" Australian missionary who was sexually assaulted and killed in a Davao prison riot.

After his election win, Duterte also launched a seemingly unprovoked attack against the United Nations.

"Fuck you UN, you can't even solve the Middle East carnage ... couldn't even lift a finger in Africa [with the] butchering [of] the black people. Shut up all of you," he said.

On Thursday, Duterte offered a muted message of friendship to the international community.

"On the international front and community of nations, let me reiterate that the Republic of the Philippines will honour treaties and international obligations," he said.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 01, 2016, 07:01:55 PM
I'm not sure that works. I mean I think Putin and Erdogan broadly fall into that category and in both cases they've distracted domestic issues into foreign policy with damaging results.

Do you really want a failing tough man whipping up the crowds about, say, South China Sea islands? It seems like the Pacific rim is the last place - except the US - we need that sort of leadership.

I think those with a weak ideology are more dangerous because the are often less predictable.  We tend to know how the Chinese will react.  Putin tends to surprise us.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

QuoteDuterte, a lawyer who earned a reputation as an authoritarian figure as mayor of the southern city of Davao over most of the past two decades,

And yet it's the place to be seen every year; if he were really that bad, the World Economic Forum would've picked another city years ago.

Quote"Fuck you UN, you can't even solve the Middle East carnage ... couldn't even lift a finger in Africa [with the] butchering [of] the black people. Shut up all of you," he said.

Kinda got you there, UN.

Drakken

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 14, 2016, 09:23:02 AM
This guy gives me a murder boner.

Your avatar is giving me a murder boner. :perv: