News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Duterte elected in the Philippines

Started by Jacob, May 31, 2016, 04:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Apparently he's calling for extra-judicial killings to start immediately - inside prisons, targetting"corrupt journalists", targetting top ranking military officers, and anyone else who is bad. He is also, apparently is planning on rewriting the constitution.

Languishites, how is this going to go? As bad as Venezuela? More like Turkey? Its own very special fucked scenario?

Sheilbh

When I was on holiday I got chatting to a Filipino guy who was a big supporter of him. Said he was who the common people wanted to win.

Me: :mellow: That's nice....very warm isn't it?
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

I'm ignored :weep:

http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,13946.msg975179.html#msg975179

Seems like it will go pear shaped even faster than Venezuela. Chavez had tons of oil in a time of high prices to prop up the economy, and he mostly imprisoned people. He didn't bust out roving death squads immediately.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

The Philippines is only an hour's flight from Hong Kong.  It is actually very near.  I grew up with a Filipino maid living in my flat.  More than a hundred thousand Filipino maids are in Hong Kong and they camp in Central every Sunday.  There are entire malls dedicated to serving their needs.  But I have never been there, and have no intention to do so.  All of my previous interactions with the place and the people don't leave me with a good impression. 

Indonesia has announced that they will cease exporting maids.  No idea how that will turn out.  But this news from the Philippines likely means exporting maids will continue to be one of their most important businesses in the forseeable future.  The difference between Flilipino and Indonesian maids is that the former are usually more highly educated, speak English, but suck at cooking and are less hardworking.  Indonesian maids speak Cantonese (they specifically learn the dialect for the job), are better at cooking and cleaning, but are Muslims (Filipinos tend to be Catholics).  The reason religion matters is because many Indonesian maids refuse to cook pork, which is commonly found in Chinese cuisine. 

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 31, 2016, 10:23:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2016, 09:54:56 PM
They'll be okay.
Just like Venezuela's okay?

I never said Venezuela would be okay.  I predicted way back when Chavez took power that they'd turn into a shithole.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Deng and Pinochet both taught us that it is possible to murder your own citizens as a matter of policy and still have the economy grow at 10%.  It that sense derspiess may be right.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Will he champion the systematic use of torture like a POTUS? Sorry, I mean Enhanced Torture Techniques.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Monoriu

I distinctly remember there was a time when the Philippines had a coup like every 18 months.  Or less.  They seem to have fixed that. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on June 01, 2016, 10:43:19 AM
I distinctly remember there was a time when the Philippines had a coup like every 18 months.  Or less.  They seem to have fixed that.

I only remember one coup attempt after Marcos was ousted, thwarted at least in part by US Phantoms buzzing the barracks.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2016, 10:53:11 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 01, 2016, 10:43:19 AM

I only remember one coup attempt after Marcos was ousted, thwarted at least in part by US Phantoms buzzing the barracks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986%E2%80%9390_Philippine_coup_attempts

Wiki says 6 coup attempts between 1986-87.  2 attempts in 1989, 2 attempts in 1990, 2 in 2001, 1 in 2003, 1 in 2006, and 1 in 2007.  Because so many HK families have Filipino maids, there are so many Filipinos in HK, and so many HKers go there for vacation (it is nearby and cheap), the coup attempts receive wide coverage in HK. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on June 01, 2016, 08:44:04 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 31, 2016, 10:23:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on May 31, 2016, 09:54:56 PM
They'll be okay.
Just like Venezuela's okay?

I never said Venezuela would be okay.  I predicted way back when Chavez took power that they'd turn into a shithole.

Then what's the difference?

1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

I think there is a lot less danger from non ideological blowhard demagogues like Duterte and Trump than ideological ones with deep movements behind them. Duterte's power base is based on people believing he is effective. He takes no prisoners and gets things done. So once he fails to get things done, he is going to have a problem.

Ideological movements like the "Bolivarian Revolution" tap into the right vs. left polarization that already exists. Sure they will also suffer from ineffectiveness, but there will still be ideological true believers, and those who believe the other side is worse, which combined with the power of the state can be enough to hold on a bit longer.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

I'm not sure that works. I mean I think Putin and Erdogan broadly fall into that category and in both cases they've distracted domestic issues into foreign policy with damaging results.

Do you really want a failing tough man whipping up the crowds about, say, South China Sea islands? It seems like the Pacific rim is the last place - except the US - we need that sort of leadership.
Let's bomb Russia!