What acts of pilgrimage would you like to undertake?

Started by Maladict, May 30, 2016, 11:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on May 30, 2016, 02:33:38 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 30, 2016, 02:31:51 PM
Great Pyramid of Giza, Egypt

Enjoy your captivity.

I know - it's one of life's greatest tragedies that I cannot travel freely there at the moment.

CountDeMoney

Cuba. I want to see it all:  the Moncada barracks, The old Presidio Modelo prison, the Granma, the lobby staircase of the Capri and the old Hilton ballroom, the camp at La Plata, the Bay of Pigs...I plowed too many goddamned credits into that revolution not to see where it all happened.

That, and the Vatican.  Would love to see how they've tricked out the home office back at Corporate.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 30, 2016, 02:45:52 PM
That, and the Vatican.  Would love to see how they've tricked out the home office back at Corporate.

See if all the ashtrays and Bavarian beer taps Benedict had installed are still there.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Brain

Cuba. I want to see it all:  the Moncada barracks, The old Presidio Modelo prison, the Granma, the lobby staircase of the Capri and the old Hilton ballroom, the camp at La Plata, the Bay of Pigs...I plowed too many goddamned credits into that revolution not to see where it all happened.

You write Born To Kill on your helmet AND you wear a peace button?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on May 30, 2016, 03:55:36 PM

You write Born To Kill on your helmet AND you wear a peace button?

He may have an anteater, rather than a helmet.

Though if he has a helmet, I can totally see him writing "born to kill" on it.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

For me the journey itself is usual going to be more important than the place of pilgrimage, so I might consider revisiting Canterbury Cathedral from here, but I'd need to find an interesting route there, perhaps one that in part followed old pilgrimage routes?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 30, 2016, 04:19:35 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 30, 2016, 02:31:51 PM
Rosslyn Chapel, Scotland
You know that mostly burned down right? :console:

Did you mean the Boleskine House? Couldn't find much about the Chapel burning apart from that the original bits were destroyed centuries ago.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Oops yeah. Boleskine house had a big fire last year I think.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Reading this thread, and the other one, I'm having trouble distinguishing between a pilgrimage and a cool vacation.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Maladict

Quote from: alfred russel on May 30, 2016, 07:58:45 PM
Reading this thread, and the other one, I'm having trouble distinguishing between a pilgrimage and a cool vacation.

I'll have a go:

- the pilgrimage destination is the only focal point of the journey
- the journey and/or destination holds great meaning or significance
- travel solo or with like-minded people
- some benefit or experience is gained from the pilgrimage

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on May 30, 2016, 04:54:34 PM
For me the journey itself is usual going to be more important than the place of pilgrimage, so I might consider revisiting Canterbury Cathedral from here, but I'd need to find an interesting route there, perhaps one that in part followed old pilgrimage routes?

The Powell and Pressburger film, A Canterbury Tale is interesting, a sort of WW2 update of Chaucer :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canterbury_Tale

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 31, 2016, 03:02:30 AM
Quote from: mongers on May 30, 2016, 04:54:34 PM

The Powell and Pressburger film, A Canterbury Tale is interesting, a sort of WW2 update of Chaucer :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canterbury_Tale

Thanks, I've seen snippets of that, so really should see the whole film, especially given the time and conditions when it was made.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Monoriu

Quote from: Maladict on May 31, 2016, 02:11:19 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 30, 2016, 07:58:45 PM

I'll have a go:

- the pilgrimage destination is the only focal point of the journey
- the journey and/or destination holds great meaning or significance
- travel solo or with like-minded people
- some benefit or experience is gained from the pilgrimage

So if I go to Italy for two weeks and spend a day at the Leaning Tower of Pisa, that probably doesn't count as pilgrimage.  Then I don't think I have been to a pilgrimage at all.  If I go to Japan and specifically look for anime-related sites, then it probably counts.  But I likely won't do that.