What acts of pilgrimage would you like to undertake?

Started by Maladict, May 30, 2016, 11:39:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

The companion thread.

Mine:
- Nauru: I've been fascinated by the island since I was a child. Would love to go one day, even though it's a horrid place.
- Walk from Rome to Istanbul along the Viae Appia & Egnatia.
- Visit some of the Silk road cities, preferably Samarkand and Balkh.

Liep

Cycling the Silk Road would be the closest thing to a pilgrimage for me that I can think of. Taking a year or more out of the calendar is not easy though. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Maladict on May 30, 2016, 11:39:26 AM
- Walk from Rome to Istanbul along the Viae Appia & Egnatia.

This sounds like a very good trip, too. I'll not that down.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Scipio

Holy Sepulchre
Tomb of St. Alexander Nevsky
Tomb of St. Nicholas (okay, all three)
St. Peter's Basilica
St. John Lateran
Santiago de Compostela
Patmos
Tomb of St. George
Hagia Sophia
San Vitale in Ravenna
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Phillip V

I want to follow the footsteps of Jesus Christ.

celedhring

Alessandra Daddario's bedroom. A true place of worship.

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on May 30, 2016, 11:49:54 AM
Cycling the Silk Road would be the closest thing to a pilgrimage for me that I can think of. Taking a year or more out of the calendar is not easy though. :P

I forgot the cycling trip around the Mediterranean.  :Embarrass:

Capetan Mihali

Mexico City, because it's where the majority of my Mexican relatives live.  I've only ever met one of them on a couple of occasions as a kid, as he was of my grandparents' generation (and he lived in a city on the Pacific coast, not in the D.F., anyways).

So it would be very special to get to meet them.  And I could simultaneously pay a Trotskyist pilgrimage to the Coyacán neighborhood, which used to be on the periphery, where Trotsky lived out his last year, alongside Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera. Mexico City is supposed to be great regardless, especially for eating and drinking, plus the famed National Museum of Anthropology with its huge collection of pre-Columbian artifacts. :drool:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Malthus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 30, 2016, 01:44:18 PM
Mexico City, because it's where the majority of my Mexican relatives live.  I've only ever met one of them on a couple of occasions as a kid, as he was of my grandparents' generation (and he lived in a city on the Pacific coast, not in the D.F., anyways).

So it would be very special to get to meet them.  And I could simultaneously pay a Trotskyist pilgrimage to the Coyacán neighborhood, which used to be on the periphery, where Trotsky lived out his last year, alongside Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera. Mexico City is supposed to be great regardless, especially for eating and drinking, plus the famed National Museum of Anthropology with its huge collection of pre-Columbian artifacts. :drool:

I was there a couple of years ago and it was awesome. I've been to many, many museums in my time, this was one of the best.

Also, if you go, don't miss the smaller - but still awesome - museum attached to the Templo Mayor archaeological site. While you are there, take the roof tour of the cathedral right next door (if you are not afraid of heights) - it's cheap and offers an amazing view of the city.

I really enjoyed Mexico City - for someone interested in anthropology/archaeology, it's hard to beat.

Just don't visit the Sanctuary of La Santísima Muerte. Our guidebook said something like: 'not safe for tourists after dark, or during daylight for that matter'.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Malthus on May 30, 2016, 01:58:13 PM
I was there a couple of years ago and it was awesome. I've been to many, many museums in my time, this was one of the best.

Also, if you go, don't miss the smaller - but still awesome - museum attached to the Templo Mayor archaeological site. While you are there, take the roof tour of the cathedral right next door (if you are not afraid of heights) - it's cheap and offers an amazing view of the city.

I really enjoyed Mexico City - for someone interested in anthropology/archaeology, it's hard to beat.

Just don't visit the Sanctuary of La Santísima Muerte. Our guidebook said something like: 'not safe for tourists after dark, or during daylight for that matter'.  :lol:

Thanks for the recommendations. :)  I'm just waiting for someone willing to make the trip with me, since travelling alone to Mexico City seems both unfun and a lot more dangerous.

I'm also intrigued by this one: The Museum of the Object of the Object. http://elmodo.mx/en/ :D

EDIT:  FWIW, I think it'll be interesting to see how Jewish-Mexicans live.  I figure the ones I'm related to must be pretty well-integrated, since the family tree shows a cousin about my age whose first name is "Adolfo" -- I don't think Adolfo-themed names have been very popular among Polish Jews or their descendants for quite a while... :lol:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

The Brain

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on May 30, 2016, 02:01:40 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 30, 2016, 01:58:13 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. :)  I'm just waiting for someone willing to make the trip with me,

:)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Brain on May 30, 2016, 02:09:43 PM
:)

Well that goes without saying.  I don't think we need to get me a visa for our arrival, but I'll double check.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Montsegur, France
Rosslyn Chapel, Scotland
Boleskine House, Scotland
Tomb of Oscar Wilde, Pere Lachaise, Paris, France
Great Pyramid of Giza, Egypt
Holy Sepulchre, Israel

If my secondment to Paris comes through (it is still in the air), I plan to get the first four in one fell swoop.